Sport Instructor, Climbing Wall
Sport Instructor, Climbing Wall
Position Type: Auxiliary Part-Time
Department: Community Sports
Direct Supervisor: Sport Climbing Programmer
Anticipated Start Date: October 2018
Application Closing Date: October 21, 2018
Number of positions available: Multiple
Built for the Games. Designed for Legacy. The Richmond Olympic Oval ('the Oval') is a breathtaking venue on the banks of the Fraser River and winner of the Institution of Structural Engineers top award for Sports or Leisure Structures. Home to long track speed skating during the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games, the Oval now provides sport, health and fitness activities, skill development pathways, and role-model leadership to all ages and skill levels. We aim to improve the health and wellness of the community and contribute to the international success of athletes wearing the maple leaf.
We are proud of our dynamic and creative team of employees who work to fulfill our vision. At the Oval you will find talented, inspiring people who are driven to create a legacy, who strive to provide an inspiring multi-sport environment, while providing the best possible experience for our customers.
The Oval’s climbing wall features 3 main sections: a 25’ beginner wall, a 38’ intermediate wall, and a breathtaking 40’ overhanging, corner feature to push you to your limits. The 31 routes set over 6300 sq. ft. of climbing area combine textured panels and a proprietary simulated granite finish. Oval members can now enjoy this modern climbing amenity inside an already world class sport and recreation facility.
Who you are,
You are a key member of our Climbing Wall team and operate as a dedicated and professional leader to help our customers learn foundational climbing skills. You are customer-oriented with excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and are passionate about
Your core responsibilities include,
- Delivers professional instruction, education, and guidance to Oval members and non-members using the Climbing Wall, including belaying, top rope and foundational climbing movement skills;
- Prepares lesson plans and comes organized for each course;
- Manages the safe operation of the Sport climbing wall in accordance to the Oval’s risk management policies and practices;
- Ensures integrity of the Oval’s risk management policies governing the use of the Sport climbing wall;
- Works under the supervision of the Sport Climbing Programmer.
Your schedule at the Oval will look like,
- Available to work a flexible work schedule;
- Available to work up to 15 hours per week;
- During spring season, Instructors are flexible to work after 4:00pm Monday to Friday, and in the afternoon on Saturday.
The qualifications and skills you bring to this role include,
- Current Association of Canadian Mountain Guides (ACMG) Level 1 Climbing Gym Instructor certification or equivalent, or willingness to attain;
- Minimum 6 months (combined) instructional experience in artificial climbing walls or outdoor rock climbing setting;
- Minimum of 1 year direct leadership experience in climbing or related outdoor pursuits;
- Demonstrated ability to top rope at a minimum 5.10 and lead climb to a minimum 5.9 level indoors;
- Leadership experience in adventure-based learning and team-building an asset;
- Ability to lead, instruct and successfully interact with children or adolescents;
- Ability to read, understand, follow, and enforce safety procedures;
- Knowledge of the application, safe usage, and maintenance of requirements of relevant facilities and equipment;
- Optimistic, passionate and personable;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively resolve client concerns and issues in a positive manner;
- Excellent communication and customer service skills;
- Valid First Aid and CPR;
- Able to complete a successful criminal record check.
Compensation range: $19.71 - $25.51* depending on expereince (*Rate includes 12% In lieu of benefits)
Perks: Our workplace culture embraces People, Excellence, Leadership, Team and Innovation.
- Full Membership to the Oval, which includes access to 20,000sq ft fitness centre with top class facilities, over 100 pieces of strength and cardio equipment, 4-storey climbing wall, YYoga studio, endless fitness classes, Olympic sized ice rinks and the Richmond Olympic Experience (ROX) museum
- 12% in lieu of benefits on top of your hourly rate
- Collaborative team environment
- Opportunity to work in various auxiliary positions at the Richmond Olympic Oval to grow your knowledge and experience
The Richmond Olympic Oval is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all groups. This includes women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity or expression (LGBTQ2S+), and others who may contribute to diversity. We also recognize unique styles, perspectives, beliefs and creativity that support a diverse, respectful, inclusive and collaborative work environment.
If you are personable, have a great attitude, are passionate about delivering exceptional customer service and have a genuine interest in contributing to the greater good of our company and our community, we want to hear from you!