Utility Worker I
Utility Worker IFull-Time Temporary (This position to last not later than December 31, 2018)
Location: Lake City Operations Centre, Burnaby
Join us as we help shape the place people want to be – Metro Vancouver, one of the world’s most livable regions. The services and solutions we provide are the foundation of our region’s economic, ecological and social health. This includes the areas of regional growth planning, air quality, water, liquid and solid waste management, regional parks, affordable housing and community engagement to over 2.5 million residents. We don’t stop, we don’t close and we do what is right, for now and for future generations.
We invite you to bring your skills, passion, and expertise to help us in our commitment to sustain and enhance our region’s livability. We offer competitive salaries; exceptional benefit packages with valuable pension plan; employee wellness and recognition programs; and many diverse opportunities for professional growth and development.
We deliver the exceptional services and solutions that have helped make this one of the most special, livable communities in the world, and we want you to join us. Help us shape the future of the Metro Vancouver region, and shape the place people want to be.
Our Liquid Waste Services Department is seeking a Utility Worker I who will perform a wide variety of semi-skilled and unskilled labour related to Utility operations and maintenance.
You are: A conscientious and enthusiastic individual who works well with others.
In this role, you will: (The duties described hereunder are intended to be representative of the position and are not to be considered all inclusive.)
- Assist operations and maintenance staff in performing tasks such as minor construction, building forms, mixing concrete, grounds maintenance, brush cutting, channel clearing, etc.
- Operate ancillary equipment such as trucks, small tractors, lawnmowers, brush saws, weed eaters.
- Operate compressors, pneumatic tools, electrical power tools, chain saws,
- Perform site preparation and painting work.
- Work in confined spaces and conducts safety monitor duties as required.
- Assist in leak and/or other emergency repairs.
- Obtain tools and parts from warehouses.
- Pickup and delivery from suppliers.
- Work in compliance with all District safety policies, procedures and WCB regulations.
To be successful, you have:
- Grade 12 or equivalent.
- Ability to operate power and pneumatic tools.
- Mechanical ability and construction aptitude.
- Ability to work in confined spaces and demonstrate safety awareness.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Physically capable of performing work duties and willingness and ability to perform shift work.
- Valid B.C. driver’s license.
Note: This position will progress to Utility Worker II after 5 years experience in this classification OR 3 years experience and completion of Sacramento State Water Supply or Water Treatment or Wastewater Collection or Wastewater Treatment Level 1 and 2 courses, or an equivalent level of training.
Metro Vancouver seeks to achieve what humanity aspires to on a global basis – the highest quality of life embracing cultural vitality, economic prosperity, social justice and compassion, all nurtured in and by a beautiful and healthy natural environment.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by October 24, 2018.