Trades Improver 1 - Water Operations (Meters)
City of Surrey
Trades Improver 1 - Water Operations (Meters) (Full-Time)
The City of Surrey’s Engineering Department has a regular full time opportunity for a Trades Improver 1 Water Meters in the Water Operations Section. The Engineering Department is a fast paced environment serving a rapidly growing city of over 475,000 residents. This is an excellent opportunity where you are able to gain valuable experience in a challenging and dynamic work environment.
Reporting to the Water Operations Manager, the Trades Improver 1 positions involve manual and skilled tasks involving considerable physical effort in performing a variety of civil and utility construction and operations and maintenance related to water systems.
- Investigates water meter enquiries and perform repairs when required
- Diagnose problems with commercial and residential water meters and determine the most cost-effective and efficient means of repair
- Uses meter testing equipment and software to diagnose water meter related issues
- Programs meters in the field to City of Surrey’s specifications
- Works with map books, construction as built drawings
- Inspects and maintains meter chambers
- Cleans and secures work area by shoveling and sweeping
- Deals with various chemicals relating to water system
- Responds to trouble calls and inquiries from the public
- Assists crew members in performing their duties
- Uses various software which include Cityworks, GIS, Excel, Amanda and metering software
- Installs radios on meters; troubleshoot, read and record data
- Operates and maintains property shutoff valves
- Operates water main valves to trouble shoot meter problems
- Other job related duties as assigned.
Applicants under considerations will meet the following minimum qualifications:
- Completion of Grade 12
- Experience and training in civil and utility construction and engineering operations and maintenance
- Valid B.C. Driver's License with safe driving record as per the City’s policy
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Communicates effectively both orally and in writing
- Understands and effectively carries out oral and written instructions
- Exercises independence of judgment and initiative in performing the duties of the position
- Understands figures and numbers, reads construction drawings and maps of underground services, utilities, etc.
- Knowledge of Surrey's road system
- Knowledge of applicable safety regulations
This position requires completion of a Police Information Check.
This job posting closes October 22, 2018.
Apply online at www.surreycareers.ca