Systems Support Technician
Vancouver Island Regional Library
Vancouver Island Regional Library
Systems Support TechnicianAre you looking for a challenging and rewarding opportunity where progressive thinking, accountability and resource planning are valued?
If you are ready to work for an organization that fosters collaboration and partnership with its employees and communities, Vancouver Island Regional Library (VIRL) has an exciting opportunity for you!
The Systems Support Technician is responsible for providing technical support and services for the Library’s computers and network services both in the branches and at Central Services.
You have the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Demonstrated skills using WINDOWS, networks, p.c.’s, printers, computer peripherals, communications hardware, network cabling, hubs, routers and working with a current Microsoft Windows Server environment.
- Proven ability to contribute positively in a team environment;
- Good oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to work accurately, independently and meet tight deadlines with shifting priorities.
In this position, your duties may include:
- Frequent contacts with branch and Central Services staff to trouble shoot system problems, and to provide supplemental training on Library computers and network services.
- Interaction with technology and telecommunications vendors during the course of trouble-shooting. Has contact with present and potential vendors during the course of exploring and implementing new relevant technologies.
- Maintains Library computers and network services in accordance with vendor instructions. This includes system backups, software upgrades, hardware repairs, and other maintenance routines.
- Provides telephone and on-site support to Library staff in response to problems with the Library computers and network services. Refers problems to vendors where necessary.
- Installs, sets up, and removes equipment in accordance with Library requirements and vendor instructions.
- Maintains current and accurate logs of daily operations. Ensures the detailed recording of all problems and the steps taken to resolve them.
- Works with the Operations Manager, Information Technology to plan, develop and implement Library automation projects, including system upgrades and new software releases.
- Provides technical advice to Library staff in support of planning, developing, and implementing non-system automation projects.
- And of course, other duties as required.
Education and Experience that would make you stand out:
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in an IT customer support role;
- A Certificate from a two year-post secondary program concentrating in Computer Systems and Operations;
- Completion of an Industry Certification (CAN, CNE, MCP, MCSE, or CCNA) an asset.
You should also know:
You are required to have a valid BC Driver’s License and a reliable vehicle given that there will be travel to various VIRL Branches or potential VIRL Branch locations. You will also be required to satisfactorily complete a Criminal Record Check (Working with Children & Vulnerable Adults).
Our Mission is to enrich lives and communities through universal access to knowledge, lifelong learning, and literacy. Our Vision is to develop strong library branches that are vital community destinations for knowledge, inspiration, innovation, and renewal.
Vancouver Island Regional Library has over 370 employees and serves over 430,000 people through 39 branch locations on Vancouver Island, Haida Gwaii, Bella Coola on the central mainland coast, and through our eLibrary at www.virl.bc.ca.
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package. This position is located our Nanaimo Administration Office (also known as our Nanaimo North Branch):
6250 Hammond Bay Road
Nanaimo, BC V9R 5N3
Please reference the Competition No.: CUPE2018-136 in the subject line of your email when submitting your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Your cover letter should clearly identify how you have the knowledge, skills and experience to be successful in this position.
VIRL thanks all applicants for their interest in working with us however only those selected for an interview will be contacted directly.
Visit us at www.virl.bc.ca for other exciting opportunities.
Your Voice. Your Library.