Bylaw Compliance Officer
Bylaw Compliance Officer
Salary: $31.53 - $37.07 per hour
Closing: October 21, 2018
Do you have a “can do attitude”, excellent communication skills both written and spoken, excellent interpersonal skills, a team player and have exceptional customer service skills? Then we have the perfect opportunity for you.
Come grow with us! Maple Ridge located in Metro Vancouver is a vibrant and rapidly growing City with outstanding recreation, arts and cultural amenities and some of the most affordable housing in the region. This combined with a dynamic community makes Maple Ridge a great place to work, play and live. Come join us and be part of the change.
We are recruiting for a two (2) full time Bylaw Compliance Officers. This position is responsible for inspectional, regulatory and investigational work involving enforcement of City bylaws. You will be responsible for investigating and processing alleged bylaw violations and take remedial action as required to obtain compliance,
A little bit about you:
Considerable knowledge of
- the by‑laws, statutes and applicable regulations;
- the various types of business operations and licensing fees;
- the zoning bylaw as it relates to the application of the business license bylaw and zoning compliance;
- provincial court procedures and rules of evidence;
- investigate complaints and enforce bylaws and other regulations with tact, impartiality, firmness, and the use of sound judgement;
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with a wide variety of contacts, other departments and outside agencies to obtain compliance and resolve conflicts;
- prepare concise, factual reports, to maintain appropriate records, and to interpret specific bylaws, regulations and applicable rules to the public;
- gather evidence and prepare information for municipal tickets, prosecution and to act as a witness in court;
- work outside in all types of weather, to walk long distances and to climb stairs.
- Skill in the use of software applications – MS Office Suite, Amanda, Tempest and Zebra Parking System;
- Class 5 Driver's License valid in the Province of British Columbia.
- Completion of 12 Secondary supplemented by a Post Secondary education, and sound experience in investigative and enforcement work, or an equivalent combination of training and experience is required. The Bylaw Enforcement and Investigative Skills course Level 1 is also required;
- Level 2 course will be considered an asset. The ideal candidate will have a minimum of two years experience in the field.
Your key responsibilities are:
- Recommends legal action as required;
- Gathers evidence;
- Prepares information for prosecution and represents the City in court as a witness for prosecutions;
- The work entails extensive contact and liaison with the public
The successful candidate will be required to complete a Police Information Check as a condition of employment. (Note – not required a part of the application process; however, will be required upon consideration for employment)
All required licenses, certificates and registrations associated with this competition must also be valid and current at the time the postings close and must be attached with your application. Please have these documents ready to upload when you apply.
The City offers a competitive compensation package that includes a strong wellness program and the opportunity for career and professional development.
If you want to help shape a growing community in a municipality that strives for service excellence, then this is the position for you.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those under consideration will be contacted.