Civil Works Inspector II
Civil Works Inspector IIFull-Time Temporary (This position to last not later than June 1, 2020)
Location: Lake City Operations Centre, Burnaby
Join us as we help shape the place people want to be – Metro Vancouver, one of the world’s most livable regions. The services and solutions we provide are the foundation of our region’s economic, ecological and social health. This includes the areas of regional growth planning, air quality, water, liquid and solid waste management, regional parks, affordable housing and community engagement to over 2.5 million residents. We don’t stop, we don’t close and we do what is right, for now and for future generations.
We invite you to bring your skills, passion, and expertise to help us in our commitment to sustain and enhance our region’s livability. We offer competitive salaries; exceptional benefit packages with valuable pension plan; employee wellness and recognition programs; and many diverse opportunities for professional growth and development.
We deliver the exceptional services and solutions that have helped make this one of the most special, livable communities in the world, and we want you to join us. Help us shape the future of the Metro Vancouver region, and shape the place people want to be.
Our Water Services Department is seeking a Civil Works Inspector II who will provide construction inspection quality assurance in the field. The Metro Vancouver water and liquid waste projects span the Metro Vancouver region and encompass a wide array of smaller and larger civil works, including sewer and water mains, reservoir construction, lining and coatings, and other materials inspection.
You are: seeking a place which offers growth and opportunity. You are self-motivated, enjoy working outdoors in a challenging construction oriented environment, safety minded, detail oriented, well organized, and have a good working knowledge of applying engineering standards and specifications. You have demonstrated superior interpersonal, teamwork, verbal/written communication and reporting skills that have enabled you to ensure construction activity compliance with project specifications and guidelines.
In this role, you will: (The duties described hereunder are to be representative of the position and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.)
- Inspect water, sewer, solid waste and other Metro Vancouver construction projects for conformity to specifications and drawings and ensure that general quality for the project is maintained.
- Read and interpret detailed engineering drawings for construction layout and for construction conformity.
- Prepare daily inspection reports, detailed diaries and attend pre-construction and site meetings with engineers and contractors.
- Maintain detailed written records concerning material quality and instructions to contractors.
- Maintain construction records (e.g. pipe laid, excavation quantities, concrete and reinforcing steel placed, bedding and backfill material used, etc.) for the preparation of progress estimates and “as built” records.
- Inspect and ensure quality of materials including aggregates, concrete, asphalt, pipe fabrication, linings and coatings at manufacturing plants.
- Inspect the field application of corrosion protection on pipelines.
- Perform engineering related calculations.
- Perform grade and alignment checks using survey equipment.
- Ensure staff and contractors adhere to safety regulations.
- Ensure that staff and contractors understand the specifications and drawings.
- Perform basic soil investigations.
- Oversee the work of contractors.
- Supervise and direct one or more junior staff.
- Perform other related duties.
To be successful, you have:
- Intermediate Certificate in Civil Engineering Technology from BCIT or other recognized technical institute plus at least two years of directly related and progressive experience.
- Sound knowledge of standard engineering terminology and applicable practices.
- Ability to interpret and follow standards and specifications.
- Sound knowledge of quality control testing procedures regarding materials utilized in water, sewer and solid waste projects.
- Ability to communicate and deal effectively with Metro Vancouver staff, outside organizations, contractors and the public.
- Sound knowledge of safety procedures and WorkSafe regulations and ability to apply regulations.
- Intermediate experience in the use of computers and applicable software.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise staff.
- Valid Class 5 BC driver’s license.
Metro Vancouver seeks to achieve what humanity aspires to on a global basis – the highest quality of life embracing cultural vitality, economic prosperity, social justice and compassion, all nurtured in and by a beautiful and healthy natural environment.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by October 31, 2018.