Wildfire Mitigation Supervisor
Wildfire Mitigation SupervisorPermanent, Full-Time
Regional District of Central Kootenay NELSON, BC
The RDCK is seeking applications for the Wildfire Mitigation Supervisor, based in Nelson, BC. This is an exciting opportunity to join the RDCK’s Fire and Emergency Management Services Team and run a provincial-leading regional wildfire mitigation program. The Supervisor will work closely with team members, local authorities, industry stakeholders, Fire Chiefs, contractors, elected officials and the public to tailor wildfire management activities to community needs and interests.
Reporting to the Emergency Program Manager, the Wildfire Mitigation Supervisor’s primary duties include:
- Working with community groups and leaders to promote wildfire mitigation programs and services including public education, working committees and other engagement activities
- Grant applications and coordination of wildfire mitigation projects in excess of $1M
- Contract management for wildfire mitigation activities from procurement through to completion
- Coordinating FireSmart programs throughout the regional district, including training and supervision of Wildfire Mitigation Specialists
If you pride yourself on your project management, contract management and stakeholder engagement skills, and you’re looking to make your mark in a community-supported program, we want to see your application. The ideal candidate will possess experience or qualifications in Forestry, Fire and/or Wildfire. This is a full-time benefitted position and requires the successful candidate to participate in the RDCK On-Call program. The RDCK offers a competitive salary and benefits package that recognizes experience, qualifications and abilities. We are looking to fill this position as soon as possible.
The successful candidate will possess:
- Related post-secondary qualification (diploma or higher)
- 3 years related work experience, including previous supervisory, facilitation and contracts experience
- An equivalent combination of work experience and education will be considered for this position
- Understanding of forest practices, wildfire mitigation strategies and FireSmart education
- Local FireSmart Representative & Wildfire Mitigation Specialist designation or willingness and qualification to attain
- Current BC Drivers License, satisfactory drivers abstract and satisfactory criminal record check
- Certification or experience in the following fields would be considered an asset - emergency management; volunteer management; disaster planning, response and/or recovery, or; wildfire or structural fire fighting.
Please also review the comprehensive job description available on the RDCK website at www.rdck.ca under Administration, Jobs & Employment Opportunities. Applications in the form of a resume and cover letter detailing your qualifications and experience will be accepted by email or post until 10am Wednesday October 24, 2018.
Regional District of Central Kootenay
Box 590, 202 Lakeside Drive, Nelson, BC V1L 5R4
Phone: (250) 352-8150
Thank you for your interest in working with us. All applications will be acknowledged; applicants will be contacted should they be shortlisted to participate in the interview process. The RDCK is an equal opportunities employer.