Director of Planning
COMPETITION NO. 2018-54
Development Services Department
Director of Planning(Full Time)
The Municipality of North Cowichan (population 30,000) is located in the beautiful Cowichan Valley on Vancouver Island, between Nanaimo and Victoria. Our communities of Chemainus, Crofton, Maple Bay, and the South End including University Village, are home to a multitude of artistic, cultural and outdoor recreational activities. The Municipality provides a stable and varied work environment, competitive pay and benefits, and is ideally situated on Southern Vancouver Island.
The Municipality invites applications from candidates ready to lead with exceptional tactical managerial skills and strategic thinking. The successful candidate will have a comprehensive understanding of customer service and public engagement in a complex public service environment.
Leading an engaged and dynamic team of development and community planning professionals, the Director of Planning will ensure the effective delivery of current and long-range planning and land use approval.
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Overseeing the work of planning department staff in the review and processing of all types of land use and development applications, the development of new or updated Municipal plans and planning bylaws, and in the implementation of planning projects and policies, while ensuring work observes Municipal policies, committed timelines and good planning practice.
- Managing complex land use and development applications as a professional planner from initiation to completion, including meeting with land owners and prospective developers and performing research, site visits, negotiations, technical report writing and presentations.
- Supervising planning projects and the work of professional consultants, including developing, maintaining, updating and implementing the official community plan, local area plans, zoning bylaw and other Municipal plans and strategies based on priorities established by Council and/or senior leadership.
- Overseeing and implementing the Official Community Plan and Local Area Plans, which provide a planning framework for the community.
- Liaising and collaborating with other organizations and levels of government, including First Nations, federal and provincial government agencies, local governments, community associations and community groups.
- Providing responsive professional expertise, advice and information to the CAO, senior leadership, the Municipal Council, staff, outside agencies and the public on all matters pertaining to the Planning Department.
- Supporting public participation in the Municipality’s programs and activities through meaningful public engagement and customer service, and community outreach strategies to facilitate public access to information.
- Ensuring effective management of staff through effective recruitment and selection and performance management to maintain high staff performance, strong customer service and teamwork.
- Writing technical reports as required for the senior leadership team, CAO, Municipal Council, and attending Council and Committee meetings as required.
Required Education, Knowledge and Experience:
- Master’s Degree in Regional, Urban, City or Community Planning, or related discipline (e.g. Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Geography, Urban Studies, Environmental Planning, Sustainability), including courses in land use planning, sustainability, environmental management, social planning, engagement and urban design.
- Minimum seven (7) years of experience in the planning field, including at least three (3) years in a local government setting (preferably at the municipal level) and at least two (2) years in a supervisory or management role.
- Full member of the Canadian Institute of Planners and the Planning Institute of BC.
- In-depth knowledge of the principles and practices of planning, land development and sustainability in British Columbia, including application of provincial planning legislation.
- Extensive experience processing and reviewing all types of land use and development applications.
- Experience managing planning projects and the implementation of planning policies, including the creation of official community plans and local area plans.
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to oversee the work of professional and technical staff, and contractors.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience in technical report writing.
- Experience in presenting to Council, Committees and large groups of people at public meetings.
- Experience facilitating community engagement initiatives.
- Experience in both the private and public sector will be considered an asset.
- Membership or training in IAP2 practices will be considered an asset.
- Urban design, site planning and other technical planning skills will be considered an asset.
Candidates being considered will be required to undergo a comprehensive evaluation of skills, qualifications, and abilities. The successful candidate will be required to undergo a police information check.
A competitive salary and comprehensive benefit package is offered. This position is excluded from union membership.
Visit the Municipality of North Cowichan Career Portal at www.northcowichan.ca/jobs to apply for this position. Please note that all candidates must apply via the Career Portal; we do not accept resumes via email or hard copy.
4:30 p.m. Wednesday, October 24, 2018