Great City, Great Work, Great Future!
NO. OF POSITIONS:
HOURS OF WORK:
35 Hours/Week (NonStandard Work Hours)
$62,657 – $73,889
The New Westminster Public Library is currently seeking a resourceful and adaptable full-time Librarian 1 to join our team. This exciting opportunity is for someone who thrives on working with customers and our community in a variety of ways, such as working at public desks, developing and implementing adult programs, participating in community events, working with partners and local organizations, and contributing to the library’s communication strategies. You will also have collection responsibilities and other duties arising from the strategic plan or community engagement. If you are innovative, self-directed, tactful, can keep confidentiality, work under pressure within tight timeframes, are passionate about public libraries and excited by the role libraries can play in the community, we want to hear from you!
The NWPL is a busy, customer-focused library serving a diverse clientele in an urban setting. As NWPL is currently undergoing an extensive renovation, some of our regularly scheduled programming activities are on hiatus. We will be planning all the exiting things we’ll be able to do once renovations are complete partway through 2019.
- Master’s Degree in Library Science or MLIS from an ALA accredited post-secondary institution.
- A minimum of one year of public library work experience at a professional level.
- Exceptional customer service skills.
- Demonstrated awareness of current library trends in public services.
- Expert computer skills including word processing, spreadsheets, database, graphic design, and presentation software.
- A combination of knowledge and experience in designing effective marketing strategies for library programs or services.
- Experience supervising staff.
- A track record of planning public events and working under pressure within tight timelines.
- A natural ability to interact and communicate effectively orally (in a variety of different settings and size of audience), and in writing (including on the web and with social medial).
- Working knowledge in the use of content management and website development tools.
- Demonstrated ability to think creatively and work collaboratively with others.
- Ability to enable and foster change.
- Ability and willingness to work a varying work schedule which include days, evenings and weekends.
- Proficiency with Windows desktop applications including Word, Excel and Outlook; accurate keyboarding; and experience with other technology including desktop publishing, social media, and mobile devices.
- Familiar with using consumer technologies such as Google Chromebooks, e-book readers, desktop computers, etc.
- Ability to successfully pass and maintain a clear Police Information Check.
- Must possess and maintain a valid BC Driver’s License
Apply by sending your cover letter and resume, including three references, quoting competition #18-138 by October 26, 2018.
The City of New Westminster welcomes diversity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.