Great City, Great Work, Great Future!
NO. OF POSITIONS:
HOURS OF WORK:
$34.31 – $40.46 + 12% in lieu of benefits
The New Westminster Public Library has an exciting opportunity for auxiliary Librarian 1s to join our team. If you are passionate about connecting library customers with collections, services, and programs, this opportunity is for you!
You will connect library customers with great library materials to read, watch, and listen to, assist with collection development as time allows and assist adult, child, and teen customers throughout the library. You will also participate in occasional programming which may include story time, school programs, adult programs, and library tours. You will prepare recommended resource lists for adult, children’s, or teen collections, assist library users with internet and other public technology questions, including Chromebooks, desktop computers, and e-readers, and answer a wide range of reference and information questions, including local and BC History and genealogy.
The NWPL is a busy, customer-focused library serving a diverse clientele in an urban setting. As NWPL is currently undergoing an extensive renovation, some of our regularly scheduled programming activities are on hiatus. We will be planning all the exiting things we’ll be able to do once renovations are complete partway through 2019.
- Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited post-secondary institution.
- Experience working in a Public Library setting, preferably on a public service desk.
- Enthusiasm for public service work and the ability to communicate with diplomacy and tact.
- Knowledge of the Horizon Library System and BiblioCommons, or another ILS.
- Proficiency with Windows desktop applications including Word, Excel and Outlook, accurate keyboarding, experience with other technology including desktop publishing, social media, and mobile devices.
- Familiar with using consumer technologies such as Google Chromebooks, ebook readers, etc.
- Experience and/or course work in Children’s Services and Literature is desirable.
- Ability to successfully pass and maintain a clear Police Information Check.
Shifts available include coverage for vacation and other leaves, and may include some regularly scheduled shifts. Hours of work may be daytime, evenings, and weekends.
Apply by sending your cover letter and resume, including your availability, quoting competition #18-135, in a single PDF or word document to email@example.com by October 26, 2018
The City of New Westminster welcomes diversity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.