Library Assistant 3
Great City, Great Work, Great Future!
Library Assistant 3
NO. OF POSITIONS:
CUPE, Local 387
HOURS OF WORK:
$45,327 to $53,234 annually
The New Westminster Public Library has an exciting opportunity for a Library Assistant (LA) 3 to join our permanent staff team. The LA 3 works with the LA4, under direction of the Manager of Public Services in the training and supervision of library assistants and shelving staff. You would be responsible for the smooth operation of circulation desk functions in the absence of the LA4 by responding to customer concerns, overseeing circulation activities, and trouble-shooting building and equipment issues. As an integral part of the circulation team you would review and make suggestions for improvements to circulation desk procedures, communicate with other circulation and public service staff in a professional and timely manner, and participate in planning and successfully implementing changes or additions to library services. You would also assist the LA4 with scheduling, maintain equipment in operational order, maintain and update records, compile statistics, prepare reports, and other related duties.
This position also includes off desk duties that support the circulation department, including providing excellent customer service, regular public service desk shifts where you will assist patrons to find, borrow, or reserve library materials, and use tact and discretion to resolve patron issues and explain library policies. As well, you may be required to process interlibrary loans, maintain displays, monitor and refresh supplies, or provide clerical support for library acquisitions.
- Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent.
- 3 years’ experience working in a public library.
- Library Technician Diploma or course work in Library services is desirable.
- 1-3 years supervisory experience preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively and courteously with staff, supervisors, and the public.
- Ability to provide direction and leadership.
- Ability to approach tasks thoroughly and efficiently.
- Excellent work habits such as time management, effective organizational skills, and the ability to manage multiple tasks and responsibilities to completion.
- Demonstrated ability to use Microsoft desktop applications such as Word and Excel with a high degree of efficiency.
- Experience working with Horizon, including a good understanding of, and ability to search bibliographic and membership records.
- Familiar with using internet-based resources, and possess a general understanding of databases.
- Ability to successfully pass and maintain a clear Police Information Check.
*The typical work week for this position is Tuesday to Saturday with one evening shift, but this may change to help cover vacation leaves and other staff shortages.
Apply by sending your cover letter and resume, quoting competition #18-137, in a single PDF or Word document, to the New Westminster Public Library via email only to email@example.com by October 26, 2018.
The City of New Westminster welcomes diversity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.