Senior Project Manager - Project Delivery Branch - Landfill
Senior Project Manager - Project Delivery Branch - Landfill
Requisition ID: 11934
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Senior Project Manager plays an important role in ensuring the viability and sustainability of the Vancouver Landfill in Delta and is responsible for managing the successful delivery of a range of large, multi-million dollar projects from start to completion. Reporting into the Manager of Project Delivery, the Senior Project Manager will be part of a dynamic cross-functional and cross-disciplinary team, will manage a team of staff, and work with consultants, contractors and other external stakeholders to ensure compliance with City objectives of resilience, high service levels, asset management, and supporting local and regional growth.
The successful candidate will be a progressive, collaborative, adaptable and strategic professional with a strong combination of project management and construction management experience, with demonstrated experience in solid waste management, leading teams, and implementing and operationalizing processes and procedures.
- Manages complex landfill closure and gas works projects through full cycle, from project initiation through to project closeout.
- Works with a team of internal Operations groups, external consultants and contractors, and multiple internal and external stakeholders, and partners to project manage externally led design-build closure projects ($3M +), and administer associated construction consultancies/contracts.
- Provides direction on and oversees project and project management activities including defining project scope, objectives, success factors, deliverables, and quality measurements to meet the business needs.
- Validates scope, schedule, resources and budgets with branch managers; develops Project Charter and Project Execution Plan; establishes cost and work breakdown structure; manages budgets through life cycle; identifies funding gaps, and prepares council reports and presentations.
- Provides project status reports and make recommendations on items such as scope change or mitigation strategies to the Project Management Office, client Branch Manager, and Project Sponsor(s).
- Contributes to the development of the department’s adoption of project management practices through mentorship, project management framework development, and training opportunities.
- Develops, shapes, and advances project and quality management standards through a project management framework developed for the Engineering Department and supports their practical and consistent application through their client branch.
- Identifies and manages both project specific and program wide opportunities to enhance overall value to the public.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Minimum Position Requirements
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Environmental Sciences from a recognized post-secondary institution, or an equivalent combination of experience and qualifications required. A Master’s degree in Construction Management, Environmental Engineering, or Sciences is considered an asset.
- Minimum of 8 years of industry experience in construction and project management.
- Experience of work on municipal solid waste landfill related construction projects including closure and gas works is an asset as is familiarity with federal and provincial waste environmental and management regulations and MMCD standards.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) designation preferred.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of quality management frameworks such as APEGBC’s Organizational Quality Management processes.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience managing consultants and contractors on design and construction of large civil projects, such as earth moving projects.
- Extensive knowledge of waste management practices and procedures related to the design, construction, and maintenance of landfill closure projects.
- Demonstrated experience developing and reporting on projects and programs, researching and preparing business cases for various projects and initiatives.
- Extensive knowledge of project management methodologies, practices, processes and policies and their application.
- Experience in leading teams and diverse stakeholder groups, including internal and external management of design and field personnel; experience working in a matrix reporting relationship.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with technical and professional staff, as well as external third parties.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and resolve conflicts arising within the project team or in interactions with others in the most advantageous manner to all parties.
- Proven ability to innovate, lead and implement change in the workplace.
- Experience in public consultation and conflict resolution with the ability to reconcile differing perspectives, develop consensus, and secure cooperation and support from both stakeholders and team members.
- Ability to converse with, write reports for and create/deliver presentations to all levels of colleagues and peer groups to support problem solving and planning.
- Ability to manage large workloads, set priorities and multitask effectively.
- Knowledge of MS Project is an asset.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services
Employment Type: Temporary Full-Time
Position Start Date: November 2018
Position End Date: November 2020
Application Close: October 19, 2018
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.