Supervisor of Stanley Park, Downtown Parks and Horticultural Contracts
Supervisor of Stanley Park, Downtown Parks and Horticultural ContractsRequisition ID: 12022
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Supervisor of Stanley Park, Downtown Parks and Horticultural Contracts is responsible for the operational management of Stanley Park, Downtown Parks, horticultural contracts and beaches. This role develops and implements long and short term maintenance plans, performance standards, guidelines and regulations plus develops, recommends and implements changes in parks in accordance with public use and emerging conditions. The successful candidate will also be responsible for the supervision of staff, which includes 3 direct exempt managerial reports and over 100 indirect unionized staff. The Supervisor ensures program continuity and flexibility to meet emerging needs which includes hiring, termination, evaluation, discipline, support, coaching, professional development and representing the City in the grievance process. There is an expectation of the incumbent to exercise considerable independence of judgement and initiative, including providing expertise to other departments and stakeholders in the community.
As part of the Parks Management Team reporting to the Manager of Park Operations, the Supervisor of Stanley Park, Downtown Parks and Horticultural Contracts will focus on cost effective service improvements to an integrated operation while maintaining excellent customer service. The Supervisor encourages workplace productivity by building effective team relationships with employees, colleagues and customers; collaborating with the team and customers to develop and apply new methods and products. He or She creates and establishes a maintenance plan including priorities, schedules, budgets and inspections.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for the integrated operation of Stanley Park, Downtown Parks, Horticultural Contracts and Beaches
- Participates in management team meetings, leadership team meetings and public meetings regarding parks and facilities
- Develops and administers annual operating budgets of approximately 6M in accordance with the Park Board standards
- Develops, establishes and maintains policies, operating procedures and standards for Stanley Park, Downtown Parks, Horticultural Contracts and Beaches
- Establishes and maintains effective communication and coordination with other divisions and departments in the Park Board, the City, consultants and contractors, and also with the different levels of government, external stakeholders and the general public
- Sets priorities for the maintenance according to usage, wear and tear and safety concerns, and adjusts priorities to meet emerging public needs
- Manages the implementation of approved plans by contractors and Park Board crews and ensures adherence to specifications and standards
- Provides leadership and supervision to staff, both unionized and non-unionized including hiring and termination, discipline, performance and attendance management, coaching and training and development
- Responsible for ensuring safe work procedures are in place and followed, and investigates and represents the employer as required in the OH&S Committee
- Graduation from recognized post-secondary institution in Horticulture and/or Park Management, Business or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Minimum 5-7 years of progressive related management experience, within the municipal sector and unionized environment is preferred, including 3-5 years of supervisory leadership experience
- Demonstrated experience in all aspects of HR management of unionized and non-unionized staff, including all aspects of labour relations
- Demonstrated experience in Project Management and the ability to simultaneously manage and review a number of projects
- Excellent knowledge in the core functions of park operations including horticulture, turf management, synthetic field maintenance, landscape construction, irrigation and snow/ice control.
- A high level of personal and professional excellence including the ability to align personal and organizational values
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to coach and develop others
- Strong organizational skills including planning work programs, setting priorities, political awareness and sensitivity
- Ability to work under pressure and handle multiple tasks and changing priorities within a tight time frame
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to prepare complex reports
- Ability to carry out skillful negotiations and interest based conflict resolution
- Demonstrated ability to build partnerships and alliances with peers, business communities, partners and staff
- Demonstrated ability to be innovative, flexible and entrepreneurial
- Sound judgement and ability to effectively represent the Vancouver Board of Parks and Recreation
- Proficiency in the use of corporate productivity software including MS Outlook, Word, Excel, LAGAN and SAP.
- Strong working knowledge of BC Statutes, including WorkSafeBC Occupational Health and Safety regulations, Collective Agreements and other relevant legislation.
- Possession of a valid Class 5 Driver's License. Applicants are required to have access to an automobile for work related purposes
Business Unit/Department: Board of Parks & Recreation (1400)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Application Close: October 21, 2018
The City of Vancouver is always interested in adding high performing team members to its staff. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply on our careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.