Policy / Planning / Research
City of Lloydminster
Reporting to the Executive Manager of Operations, the Senior Manager of Planning and Development is a key contributor to the City’s Senior Management Team. This position is responsible and accountable for the direction, organization, facilitation and administration of land use planning and growth management, zoning, community and social planning, long range planning, building inspection, mapping, permits & licenses and safety codes services for the City of Lloydminster, in accordance with Council’s policies and priorities, approved budgets and rate payer’s expectations.
The position is expected to exercise considerable initiative and is permitted considerable independent judgment and action in the carrying of duties. The work is periodically discussed with, and reviewed by, the Executive Manager, Operations for conformance to good practice, established policies, and attainment of objectives.
Key Responsibilities for this position include:
- In conjunction with Council and the Executive Leadership Team, develop sound, effective and relevant long range plans that will guide the future development of the City of Lloydminster.
- Plan, organize, and direct the programs and functional operations of the Department; develop project-specific and client-driven goals, schedules, budgets, and detailed assumptions.
- Ensure all key issues and their impacts in the community and municipal corporate interests are addressed in the finalization of plans, policies, and development applications.
- Ensure that project scope, client expectations, performance measurement and specific deliverables are documented and appropriately delegated, including timely reporting on progress.
- Assign, review, and evaluate work for accuracy, suitability, and completeness.
- Direct and participate in the development and implementation of department goals, policies and procedures, administrate planning and problem resolution.
- Oversee departmental budget, ensuring expenditures and revenues are in compliance with sound financial management and budgeting practices.
- Coordinate a multi-disciplinary approach to civic infrastructure and development issues.
- Mentor and provide technical assistance to staff.
- Supervise and participate in the work of Planning staff and consultants in the preparation of project plans.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate departmental policies and procedures.
- Represent the City on various regional planning initiatives. Take part in discussion with various regional boards and committees.
- Build and maintain solid working relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Ensure that effective communication is developed with the City’s Engineering Department. Ensure that meetings are held regularly with the City’s Engineering Department and the results of these meetings are communicated to the Executive Manager.
- Ensure that all development is in consort with the City’s Long Range Plans and provide advice to the Senior Management and the City’s Engineering Department on projects and development.
- Develop a good working relationship and rapport with Mayor and Council, stakeholders, consultants, and other leaders in the organization. Build and maintain positive and effective working relationships with internal departments, elected officials, industry associations, developers, contractors, regulatory boards, and agencies.
- Review and develop the 10-year capital plan for the City.
- Review and optimize the performance of the Planning Department.
- Other related duties as required.
- Able to recognize opportunities and anticipate challenges. Innovative. Has a broad business perspective and can identify issues and their impact on the organization. Well-grounded in financial aspects of running a business. Demonstrated success in preparing, negotiating, and administering agreements as well as evaluating and delivering on project plans.
- Understands the big-picture perspective while recognizing the value of strong and consistent internal processes.
- Encourages and inspires new ideas and approaches. Ensures timely and efficient reporting. Strong attention to detail. Sets clear expectations and ensures accountability through developing a performance management system. Knows how to build capacity and encourages staff to develop and achieve results.
- Works to understand needs and expectations; solicits feedback and responds in accordance with the City’s image and mandate; Represents the City professionally at all times. Searches for the optimal solution to help satisfy client and organizational needs.
- An innovator with an assertive, friendly nature, and approachable attitude. An independent self-starter who is diplomatic, has strong negotiating skills and can adapt easily in a changing environment.
- Effectively builds relationships with a wide variety of both internal and external stakeholders. Flexible, adaptable, collaborative, and demonstrates a positive attitude. Diplomatic with well-developed negotiation skills. Able to influence without relying on authority.
- Strong communicator. Open, honest, and tactful with all audiences. Demonstrates respect to all in a clear and straightforward style. Excellent verbal and written communication skills that are adaptive to diverse stakeholders, including senior management, staff at all levels, City Council, contractors, and residents. Encourages others to contribute and communicate openly.
- Honest, sincere, dependable, authentic, and straightforward. High ethical standards and an honest, open-minded, and consistent approach to working with staff and stakeholders.
- Promotes cohesion and teamwork in seeking solutions and moving forward; positively affects morale; facilitates/builds understanding, acceptance, and support for city operations and initiatives; understands and appreciates the effectiveness of working cohesively with others at all levels within the organization, and creates a “team” culture. Has a willingness to listen and learn from others.
- Forward thinking; proactive. Creates, supports, and leads by example to build a high-performance team and a positive work environment. Develops and mentors others to be leaders. Identifies opportunities, inspires action, and achieves results. Responsive in implementing strategies that address business requirements and align to the city’s overarching strategic plan. Confident and credible.
- Seeks and considers input of others. Intuitive judgment abilities, excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills. Demonstrates a thorough, accurate, and common sense approach. Ability to formulate strategies, develop action plans, and implement solutions. Able to make decisions, provide direction, and problem solve engineering issues.
Normal working hours for this position are Monday to Friday 8:00 am – 5:00 pm with the occasional requirement to work outside these hours.
Specific requirements for this role are:
- Completion of a Bachelor’s Degree in planning or a related field supplemented by a M.C.I.P. or equivalent with a minimum of 5 years progressive municipal planning experience. Possess a proven track record in developing long range municipal plans.
- Experience in leading and engaging Council’s, boards, developers, and community groups in developing a long range Municipal Plan.
- Full membership with the Canadian Institute of Planners preferred.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of professional experience including over five (5) years of progressive management experience, ideally in diverse municipal settings.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in developing and maintaining strong relationships with community and commercial/industrial groups.
- Knowledge of both urban and rural planning issues.
- Superior understanding of the Municipal Government Act and related statutes, laws, regulations and precedents respecting Municipal Government, with emphasis on land use planning and zoning, community planning, social planning.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices and processes involved in community planning.
- Strong project management and well-developed research, comprehensive report writing, analysis and ability to present results to all levels in the organization.
- Ability to serve elected officials and public with tact, impartiality, while preserving confidentiality and sensitivity on issues and material dealt with on a regular basis.
- Planning, management, negotiating, analytical, collaboration, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong organizational, presentation, project management and problem solving skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, leaders, and external contacts and interact in a manner that builds trust, credibility, and rapport.
- Combination of equivalent education and experience may be considered.
- This position is required to drive a personal vehicle for business purposes.
- A valid Class 5 Vehicle Operator’s License with a clean driving record. Abstract is to be provided prior to start date of employment.
- This position is contingent upon receiving a satisfactory criminal record check prior to employment.
Closing Date: November 1, 2018
Please visit our website to apply: www.lloydminster.ca/jobs