Building Inspector I or II
City of Prince Rupert
Building Inspector I or II
Posting Title: Building Inspector I or II
Department: Development Services
Closing: October 30th, 2018
Union: CUPE Local 105
Pay Rate: $38.01 (I) / $39.41 (II) (During probation 93% of wage shall be paid)
Experience the wonder of living in the gorgeous setting of BC’s northwest coast. Our majestic city of over 14,000 (with an annual influx of 250,000 visitors) abounds with natural beauty and includes a bustling waterfront and charming heritage buildings. Affordable housing, ocean views and all the amenities for quality living are for the taking.
Reporting to the Director of Operations or designate, the successful applicant must have a thorough knowledge of the B.C. Building Code, Plumbing Code, and Municipal Bylaws, Regulations and Standards. Primary duties include plan checking, issuing permits, inspecting and approving or rejecting work, answering technical bylaw questions and enquires, preparing correspondence and inspection reports, issuing Trade Licences, responding to complaints and other duties as assigned. This position involves a high level of confidentiality which must be maintained at all times. As this is a visible position and requires considerable contact with the public, the successful candidates must be someone with demonstrated sound judgement and a high degree of tactfulness and diplomacy at all times in dealing with customer complaints and difficult situations, including irate individuals. The successful candidate will be self-motivated to ensure the timely and efficient completion of assigned tasks while dealing with multiple priorities, the public, and staff. The incumbent works with minimal supervision and is required to make sound decisions based on the knowledge of City Policies, Bylaws and Regulations.
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS:
In order to be considered for this position you must have the following:
- Applicants must possess an Interprovincial Trades Qualification in Carpentry or Plumbing or a diploma from a recognized technical institute in Engineering or Building Technology. Other trade certification or equivalent combination of related post-secondary education and training/experience may be considered;
- Building Inspector I must have BOABC Level 1 certification with a good-standing membership or eligible for a membership in the BOABC with two (2) years’ related experience.
- Building Inspector II must have BOABC Level 2 certification with a good-standing membership or eligible for a membership in the BOABC with three years’ experience as a building inspector in a municipal environment.
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s Licence (5 year Driver’s Abstract required); and
- The successful candidate will be required to participate in a RCMP Criminal Background check. Clearance requires absence of any criminal charges or convictions related to this position.
- Preference will be given to candidates with proven experience in building construction that is supplemented by some experience as a construction foreman, superintendent or contractor;
- BOABC Plumbing Level 1 certification;
- Certified Energy Advisor through Natural Resources Canada (NRCAN);
- Demonstrated education or experience in energy efficient home construction or renovation practices;
- Familiarity with the BC Energy Step code; and
- Emergency First Aid (Level 1).
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITY:
- A thorough understanding of the B.C. Building and Plumbing Codes with the ability to read and interpret building plans;
- Thorough knowledge of construction practices, methods, materials, tools and equipment used in building construction;
- Required to enforce, interpret and assist with preparation of related Bylaws and Building Regulations;
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with coworkers, other City Departments and the public;
- Ability to recognize faulty or sub-standard construction and suggest corrections or changes required;
- Assist with City Building maintenance program;
- Able to handle counter and telephone inquiries in an accurate, timely and professional manner;
- Prepare contract specifications and oversee construction of City related building projects;
- Ability to build relationships and deal effectively with owners, contractors, tradesmen, engineers, architects, other professionals and members of the public to enforce all regulations, bylaws and ordinances in a professional, tactful and, when necessary, firm manner;
- Able to follow safe work practices and assist in keeping others safe;
- Ability to work independently to accomplish tasks and assignments and to make on site evaluations and decisions;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and clearly, both orally and in writing;
- Proven interpersonal, organizational and time management skills;
- Ability to prepare and keep records that are neat, accurate, organized, and up-to-date;
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office Software (Word, Excel & Outlook);
- Working knowledge of computers and the ability to apply this knowledge to different systems with minimum training; and
- Other duties as required.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
Application Deadline: October 30th, 2018
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.