District Building Inspector
District Building Inspector - REPOSTRequisition ID: 11843
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world by 2020 and we are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Building Inspector I performs technical work of a regulatory and inspectional nature involving inspection of all types of buildings undergoing construction, alteration or repair and determining whether the work done conforms to the approved plans and/or by-law requirements, e.g. Building, Zoning and Sign By-laws.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
This position also records the results of inspectional activities on-line using the Permits & Licenses computer system (POSSE); accesses information from related software to research information such as status of permits, ownership of buildings and any information necessary in assisting with day-to-day inspectional and report writing duties; reviews infractions with owners/contractors and discusses the corrections required; conducts re-inspections and follow-up on outstanding work and/or violations; maintains accurate inspection records and prepares concise inspection reports; checks plans as required and able to work with a team of inspectors and willing to take initiative to help others.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12, supplemented by either post-secondary school training in Building Technology at a recognized vocational institute or by an approved apprenticeship program is an asset.
- Preference will be given to candidates with a minimum of 10 years’ experience in building construction, supplemented by some experience as a construction foreman, superintendent or contractor.
- Preference will also be given to applicants having completed Building By-Law related courses at a recognized institution, or having certification through the Building Officials Association of British Columbia (BOABC).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of all the common types and methods of building construction in wood, brick, masonry, reinforced concrete, steel and other building material.
- Thorough knowledge of building materials including their strength, resistance to time and weather, and other pertinent information.
- Ability to deal tactfully and effectively with customers, and demonstrate clear communication skills, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to read plans.
- Working knowledge of computers and the ability to apply this knowledge to different systems with minimum training.
- Ability to work independently in the field and to make on-site evaluations and decisions, consistent with the requirements of various City by-laws and Departmental policies.
A current and valid BC Driver’s License is a requirement of this position. The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities. Transportation arrangements must meet operational requirements of the Department.
A Police Record Check clearance is a requirement of this position. A clearance requires the absence of any criminal charges or convictions related to this position.
Business Unit/Department: Development Services, Building & Licencing (1250)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: October, 2019
Position End Date: June, 2019
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-027: $40.48 to $47.82 per hour
Application Close: September 21, 2018
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.