School District No. 68
School District No. 68 (Nanaimo Ladysmith)
We are currently accepting applications for Facilities Planner/Technologist. Under the general direction of the Manager of Planning and Facilities, is responsible for planning, design, drafting, surveying, cost-estimating, ensuring compliance with requirements of the various regulatory agencies, and other duties related to the construction and maintenance of sites.
- Completes preliminary surveys, designs and sketches, for submission and approval, for roadways, parking, landscaping, fencing, drainage, playgrounds, playfields, services utilities, and other site-related items; also for construction, alteration and modification to buildings, respecting various trades areas.
- Acts as Owner's Representative for the purpose of inspecting/approving work to ensure contract compliance and workmanship quality, monitoring the ongoing appropriateness of contact documents and issuing contemplated change orders, reviewing change orders for appropriateness of content and cost/credit, etc.
- Coordinates School Based Building Committees and attends District Building Committee meetings regarding the planning, design, and construction of assigned projects, and advises committees regarding budget, scope of work, and Ministry and District policies and standards.
- Prepares working drawings and cost estimates based on approved sketches, obtains necessary permits.
Investigates and recommends solutions to problems related to the District sites and facilities.
- Catalogues and maintains applicable records and technical data using both computer and manual methods. Works with District Staff to ensure facilities data is available to users via the wide area network/Internet.
- Operates Computer Aided Drafting (CAD) system, and other applicable facilities-related software.
Assists in the development of site improvements/maintenance/minor renovations projects program for annual budget development.
- Advises or assists other employees including trades foremen, general foremen, and management staff.
- Consults/liaises with principals, District staff, consultants, regulatory agencies, parent groups, suppliers and contractors, architects and engineers regarding design-related work, and installation of play equipment, for the purpose of cost estimating, material ordering, obtaining permits and coordinating installation as required.
- Coordinates site improvements/maintenance/minor renovations projects as required where work is undertaken by contract.
- Attends community, school and district meetings as required.
- May, on occasion, be required to perform other related duties as assigned.
- High school graduation or the equivalent.
- Graduation from an ASTTBC accredited diploma program in a related technology, with and five years related experience, and a minimum of three (3) years experience in project management or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Eligible for registration with ASTTBC as a certified technologist.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- A thorough working knowledge of MS Office products, and an understanding of operating systems, networking and GIS software.
- Thorough and current working knowledge of computer-assisted drawing programs.
- Valid B.C. Class 5 Driver’s License.
- Working knowledge of the trades as applicable to the duties of this position.
How to apply:
Please apply by September 23rd, 2018 www.makeafuture.ca/nanaimo-ladysmith