Solid Waste Analyst
Solid Waste Analyst
The Comox Valley is an attractive geographic location, rich in rural agriculture, vibrant urban
development, meandering coastline and dramatic mountains. There are spectacular outdoor activities
available throughout the region, offering unlimited possibilities to current and prospective residents.
At the Comox Valley Regional District (CVRD) we work collaboratively, continually look toward
the future and strive to be the change we wish to see in our communities. Our values coupled with a
commitment to leadership excellence and a resolute focus on serving the residents of the Comox
Valley, help to create an organizational culture that’s second to none. What we do goes beyond
work, offering our employees the support to achieve and maintain a healthy balance between work
and lifestyle. Working with the CVRD is a plus for everyone.
We are currently seeking a Solid Waste Analyst to join our Engineering Services team. The Solid
Waste Analyst provides technical support to Waste Management Services with respect to operational
impacts, environmental compliance and project implementation. Reporting to the Senior Manager of
CSWM Services, the primary responsibilities of this role include:
- Providing technical analysis and guidance for the CVRD on solid waste projects and issues;
- Preparing terms of reference and participating in the evaluation of request for proposals/quotations and construction tender bids in partnership with the Procurement department;
- Liaising with provincial and federal agencies, First Nations, community groups and affected stakeholders (including internal CVRD departments) to ensure their positions and needs are identified and considered within operational initiatives;
- Preparing and submitting infrastructure grant applications and providing information and professional guidance to the public, committees, staff, and consultants on operational services issues;
- Coordinating and facilitating various public and/or stakeholder meetings;
- Researching and preparing reports, displays and informational material regarding a variety of operational services issues;
- Working with consultants, contractors and CVRD staff in a project management capacity, including assigning activities, providing direction, monitoring the work and schedule to ensure completion in accordance with instructions and contract terms;
- Responding to inquiries/complaints from the general public regarding operational services issues; explaining and interpreting procedures and permit requirements as well as relevant provincial and federal acts, regulations and orders related to the Solid Waste service.
Our ideal candidate is:
- A skilled communicator with the ability to engage multiple stakeholders and resolve conflict when required;
- A strong researcher and facilitator with the ability to create and deliver meaningful presentations;
- Organized, analytical and creative when it comes to problem solving;
- Current in engineering principles, terminology, practices and techniques and comfortable making recommendations on technical matters to senior staff and elected officials;
- Current in solid waste operations and management including relevant provincial legislation;
- Skilled in project management and contract administration;
- Educated in a relevant discipline at the post-secondary level (degree with two to three years of related experience OR diploma with over four up to five years of experience) and possession of a valid BC Class 5 driver’s license;
- Trained in local government/public administration with financial acumen and the ability to use project management tools to address business challenges;
- Able to provide technical guidance and assistance to other staff;
- An advanced user of Microsoft Office Suite with emphasis on presentations and word processing and strong utilization skills with Adobe Acrobat, Explorer and SharePoint.
To review the complete job description and to apply go to www.comoxvalleyrd.ca/jobs.
The closing date for this position is September 27, 2018 at 3:00 pm. Applications for available positions with the CVRD must be received prior to the indicated closing date and time. We appreciate all applications; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The Comox Valley Regional District is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all individuals.