One of the sunniest regions in BC's Lower Mainland, Delta embraces three unique communities - Ladner, North Delta and Tsawwassen. The City of Delta is looking for dedicated individuals to join our team and share in our commitment to lead the way in public service excellence.
The City of Delta is seeking a Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Coordinator to build and implement a corporate GIS vision and supervise the City’s GIS operations. Working with the GIS team in the Engineering Department and liaising closely with Information Services, you will work with the City’s corporate team to improve the overall GIS delivery and in the conversion from Autodesk to Esri GIS technology. As well, significant opportunity exists to create value by working with City departments to understand their business needs and develop relevant GIS solutions.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in computer science or geography with additional GIS certification; bachelor’s degree in geomatics; diploma in GIS related field with supplemental GIS certification; or, equivalent combination of training and experience is desired. Considerable experience working on a GIS team as well as supervisory experience is also needed for this position. Certification as an Applied Science Technologist with the Province of British Columbia would be an asset.
Skills and Knowledge
- Ability to work with clients in the city, identify GIS solutions, and create proposals for management approval and implementation.
- Ability to create, articulate and implement a vision for corporate GIS at the city.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills with ability to prepare and deliver reports to management, Council and the public.
- Considerable knowledge of GIS systems, including Esri, Latitude Geo-Cortex, Oracle ISQL Spatial Databases, and FME
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD/Munsys and Autodesk Infrastructure Mapping Server (AIMS).
- Knowledge of municipal engineering mapping and drafting methods, practices, standards, requirements and techniques related to the work performed.
- Knowledge of mathematical theories and practices governing the work including surveying and coordinate geometry.
- Ability to research, compile, analyse, enter and edit spatial data, geographic and non-graphic data from legal source maps, ortho-photographs, engineering design and record drawings into a computer database.
- Ability to produce computer assisted base legal and utility servicing maps using GIS and related software.
- Ability to create and maintain production data sets and converting dissimilar data formats into new data sets and updating related data tables.
- Ability to develop and implement new and/or improved methods, techniques, procedures and practices.
- Ability to manage, supervise, assign and check the work of and train a small group of GIS staff in a union environment and to participate in the selection and performance evaluation of same.
- Ability to prepare and interpret maps, plans, survey notes and other data relative to the work and to operate a variety of equipment used in computer assisted mapping.• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with people at all levels both inside and outside the city.
This position requires a valid Class 5 Driver’s Licence for the Province of British Columbia.
The City of Delta provides a competitive salary of $42.40 – $49.85 per hour (commensurate with experience) and an excellent benefits package including Municipal Pension Plan as well as an earned-days-off system. Interested applicants are invited to apply online at www.delta.ca/employment to competition #18-89 EX (B) by October 12, 2018.
We thank all applicants for their interest; only those under consideration will be contacted.
Copies of relevant professional certificates, degrees, or tickets must be submitted with your application.
Preferred candidates will be required to submit a Police Information Check.
City of Delta
Attention: Human Resources
4500 Clarence Taylor Crescent, Delta, BC V4K 3E2