Capital Works and Construction Technologist (Construction Coordinator)
Capital Works and Construction Technologist (Construction Coordinator)Full-Time Regular
Location: Lake City Operations Centre, Burnaby
Join us as we help shape the place people want to be – Metro Vancouver, one of the world’s most livable regions. The services and solutions we provide are the foundation of our region’s economic, ecological and social health. This includes the areas of regional growth planning, air quality, water, liquid and solid waste management, regional parks, affordable housing and community engagement to over 2.5 million residents. We don’t stop, we don’t close and we do what is right, for now and for future generations.
We invite you to bring your skills, passion, and expertise to help us in our commitment to sustain and enhance our region’s livability. We offer competitive salaries; exceptional benefit packages with valuable pension plan; employee wellness and recognition programs; and many diverse opportunities for professional growth and development.
We deliver the exceptional services and solutions that have helped make this one of the most special, livable communities in the world, and we want you to join us. Help us shape the future of the Metro Vancouver region, and shape the place people want to be.
Our Water Services Department is seeking a Capital Works and Construction Technologist who will be an active and engaged member of our in-house Construction Team. You will be a dynamic problem-solver who can navigate unique challenges and provide solutions within a collaborative environment.
You are: Self-motivated and have a good working knowledge of utility construction practices combined with professionalism, leadership and ability to maintain a safe, respectful team environment for co-workers, support staff and supervisors.
In this role, you will: (The duties described hereunder are intended to be representative of the position and are not to be considered all inclusive.)
- Perform routine preliminary investigations, detailed designs, materials take offs and cost estimates for water and sewer system improvements. Assemble and analyze data on water and sewer design and construction costs.
- Under the direction of a professional engineer, design and oversee the construction of water and sewer system facilities such as pipelines, pumping stations, reservoirs, valve chambers, and related structural and piping arrangements; conduct field inspections of facilities and construction work. Assist in the preparation of progress estimates and change orders for construction work performed by outside contractors.
- Prepare specifications, tender tabulations, recommendations, and requisitions for field welding, pipe jacking, dredging, materials and equipment; check design drawings, shop drawings, equipment, materials and completed work for conformance to specifications and operation of the project.
- Prepare operating and maintenance manuals, construction work orders, and various reports.
- Update "as constructed" drawings. Process applications for water and sewer construction and connections to District facilities. Establish and maintain contact with a variety of internal and external contacts; respond to a variety of inquiries on water and sewer construction matters.
- Assist in the preparation of the "Engineer's Estimate" for water and sewer projects and coordinate and monitor materials procurement to ensure timely project completion as required.
- Perform a variety of office duties such as filing and records management. Perform related work as required.
To be successful, you have:
- Graduated from an Institute of Technology Diploma program (2 year) in engineering technology; minimum of four (4) years related technologist experience OR an equivalent combination of training and related work experience.
- Sound knowledge of municipal/regional sewerage and drainage and water systems including ability to read drawings, sketches, plans, and specifications.
- Sound knowledge of and ability to utilize computer spreadsheets, and database tools and familiarity with related software applications.
- Sound knowledge of safety policies, procedures, and practices relating to municipal/regional sewerage and drainage and water work and thorough knowledge of applicable WorkSafe BC regulations.
- Valid Class 5 B.C. Driver's License.
Metro Vancouver seeks to achieve what humanity aspires to on a global basis – the highest quality of life embracing cultural vitality, economic prosperity, social justice and compassion, all nurtured in and by a beautiful and healthy natural environment.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by September 27, 2018.