Building Service Worker
Building Service Worker
Great City, Great Work, Great Future!
Office of the CAO, Anvil Centre
NO. OF POSITIONS:
2 – 3 positions
CUPE, Local 387
HOURS OF WORK:
Starting rate is $22.98 per hour plus 12% in lieu of all benefits
Anvil Centre, the showpiece civic facility located in the heart of the downtown New Westminster, encompasses 84,000-square feet of interior space and includes: conference and meeting facilities, a theatre, arts studios, the New Media Art Gallery, the City’s Museum and Archives, the Canadian Lacrosse Hall of Fame and Tourism New Westminster’s visitor information centre.
We are looking for energetic and enthusiastic Building Service Workers to perform cleaning, janitorial, and custodial tasks at the Anvil Centre. Your duties will include sweeping, vacuuming, waxing and polishing floors, hallways and related areas; washing hand basins, sinks and toilets; cleaning windows, doors, shelves and other surfaces; cleaning and sweeping steps and clearing snow and ice around the buildings; operating, cleaning and minor servicing of automatic heating, hot water and ventilation units; performing minor maintenance, repair and painting; ensuring building security and providing assistance to the public and user groups; completing logbooks and other written materials; and other related work as required.
If many of the following characteristics and skills describe you, we want to meet you!
- You have a positive, energetic “can-do” approach to your work
- You have completed Grade 12 or equivalent
- You have a Building Service Worker Certificate and some related experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- You are an expert in the methods, materials, tools, and equipment used in janitorial work
- You are adept of the principles of operating automatic heating, hot water and ventilation units
- You are self-motivated and proactive and can work with minimal supervision
- You have the natural ability to successfully engage staff and deal courteously with the public and continually improve customer experiences
- You are knowledgeable in and able to perform routine building repair and maintenance tasks
- You have the ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions
- You are skilled in the use and care of cleaning and maintenance equipment
- You must be able to pass and maintain a clear Police Information Check
*The ideal candidate must be available to work a variety of shifts including mornings, afternoons, evenings, weekdays, weekends, and statutory holiday shifts. The typical number of hours per week will vary, due to operational requirements.
Apply by sending your resume quoting competition #18-122, by September 26, 2018 to the Human Resources Department, City of New Westminster, 511 Royal Avenue, New Westminster, BC, V3L 1H9, Fax: 604-527-4619 or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The City of New Westminster welcomes diversity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.