Senior Project Manager - Utilities
Senior Project Manager - UtilitiesRequisition ID: 11849
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Senior Project Manager will play an important role in ensuring Engineering Services meets the mandated corporate objectives of achieving a fully separated utility system by 2050 and Transportation 2040 Plan with specific focus on the procurement of civil design consultants and contractors along with subsequent contract management and project reporting to successfully accomplish the objectives.
The ideal candidate for this position is an innovative and accomplished professional engineer and project manager, who has experience in municipal civil infrastructure design and construction. Through the application of project and quality management best practices, the individual will ensure stakeholders are engaged and given excellent service, risks are proactively identified and managed and informed decisions are made; helping to make Vancouver one of the best places to live, work and play.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Work in a matrix environment supporting the Design branch(s) while reporting directly to the Project Delivery Branch Manager
- Work with the procurement and legal departments to prequalify Civil design consultants and contractors for construction services
- Work with the procurement and legal departments to evaluate different forms of contractual agreements
- Develop design RFP and construction ITT packages on different projects across multiple disciplines
- Manage, track and report on the delivery of the projects using the City’s Project Management Framework
- Contribute to the development of the Engineering Departments adoption of project management best practices through mentorship, project management framework development and training opportunities
- Develop, shape, and advance project and quality management standards through a project management framework developed for the Engineering Department and support their practical and consistent application through the client branch
- Identify and manage both project specific and program wide opportunities to enhance overall value to the public from the perspectives of scope, quality, schedule, cost, risk, resources, stakeholder expectations and overall public disruption
- Work with a team of Project Managers, Design and Operations groups, multiple internal and external stakeholders, and partners to project manage both internal and externally led design-build large-scale infrastructure projects ($3M+), and administer associated construction consultancies/contracts
- Provide project status reports and make recommendations on items such as scope change or mitigation strategies to the Project Management Office, client Branch Manager and Project Sponsor(s)
- Implement and ensure compliance to all Engineering Department standards, guidelines, processes and templates with respect to project and quality management
Minimum Position Requirements
Education and Experience
- A Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering or related field
- Registration as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng) in BC, or eligibility for registration
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification preferred but not required
- Minimum of 8 years of industry experience in project management with progressively complex civil infrastructure projects
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Familiarity with MMCD and CCDC standards
- Demonstrated working knowledge of APEGBC’s Organizational Quality Management processes or other quality management frameworks
- Demonstrated experience developing and reporting on projects and programs, researching and preparing business cases for various projects and initiatives
- Experience in design-build and construction management project delivery approaches
- Extensive knowledge of civil engineering practices and procedures related to the design, construction and maintenance of municipal civil infrastructure
- Extensive knowledge of project management methodologies, practices, processes and policies and their application
- Ability to organize, coordinate, and manage projects and project teams crossing multiple divisions, multiple business processes and multiple stakeholder groups
- Proven ability to innovate, lead and implement change in the workplace
- Experience in public consultation and conflict resolution with the ability to reconcile differing perspectives, develop consensus, and secure cooperation and support from both stakeholders and team members
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: October 2018
Position End Date: September 2020
Application Close: September 30, 2018
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.