Administrative Assistant, Legal
BC Public Service
Ministry of Attorney General
Administrative Assistant, Legal$42,655.22 - $48,230.51 annually
The Provincial Court of BC sits at over 80 locations throughout the Province and hears criminal, family, youth, and civil claims as well as traffic and municipal by-law matters. The Chief Judge of the Provincial Court is appointed by the Lieutenant Governor in Council and is responsible for assigning judges, and judicial justices, and designating court facilities for the hearing of cases within the jurisdiction of the court and for providing administrative direction to judges, judicial justices, and judiciary staff. The Office of the Chief Judge is the administrative headquarters for the Provincial Court Judiciary, and is based in downtown Vancouver.
The Administrative Assistant, Legal (AA) provides highly confidential administrative services, financial administration, office management, and other related administrative duties to the Legal Department. In this role, the AA reports to the Senior Legal Officer and receives functional direction from the Administrative Officer, Legal (AO) and the Legal Officers, who are lawyers. The AA handles confidential complaint and court documents such as judgments, transcripts, and records, making it vital that the AA be able to maintain the confidentiality of court materials at all times.
The AA is a highly motivated administrative professional with a strong sense of order, who is able to work both independently and in teams, has the ability to adapt and problem solve under pressure, and find great reward in providing exemplary administrative support services and facilitating the successful operation of the Legal Department of the Office of the Chief Judge of the Provincial Court. The contribution of the AA is significant to the image of the Provincial Court, as they are the front-line liaison for the Legal Department on behalf of the Office of the Chief Judge and communicate with all levels of the Provincial Judiciary, the Chief Judge and Office of the Chief Judge staff, Court Services Branch, Sheriff Services, other justice participants, and members of the general public.
Qualifications for this role include:
- Minimum of four years’ administrative/secretarial experience required, of which 1 year is in a legal capacity/setting or equivalent combination of education, experience and/or training may be considered;
- Significant experience/training in keyboarding (50 wpm minimum);
- Experience with current MS Office Suite, specifically Word and Excel;
- Proven high-level experience in editing and proofreading;
- Preference may be given to applicants with experience in the justice system and transcribing experience;
- Administrative Assistant, Legal Secretary or Legal Administration Courses are preferred.
For more information and to apply online by September 27, 2018, please go to: https://bcpublicservice.hua.hrsmart.com/hr/ats/Posting/view/54181