Manager of Financial Services
Manager of Financial Services
Position Reports To: General Manager Corporate and Financial Services
The Manager of Financial Services is responsible for day-to-day accounting / financial services including the business planning and budgeting process, and supporting the General Manager with risk management and insurance services.
The Manager of Financial Services has the following direct reports: Accounting Clerk, Tax Assessment Clerk, A/P Clerk, Utilities A/R Clerk, Grant Writer, and Receptionist.
- As a manager with direct reports, participate in the recruitment and selection process, conduct new employee onboarding / orientation, train, coach, performance manage, participate in the progressive disciplinary process up to and including terminations, participate in employees’ career development, and actively participate in other corporate-endorsed human resource management processes and procedures.
- Provide reports and information regarding financial services and attend meetings of the Council, Council Committees and Boards, as required.
- Organize and meet regularly (e.g., weekly) with direct reports to keep abreast of accounting and financial operations; facilitate two-way information exchange and provide input for operational critique and improvements.
- Ensure adherence to all applicable Wheatland County policies and bylaws.
- Relate to and communicate with senior management, Council, colleagues, direct reports, customers, external agencies, government, and vendors sincerely, clearly, tactfully, promptly and courteously; respond to inquiries and complaints promptly and professionally.
- Perform tasks, consistent with the position, including special projects / assignments, as may be required on an ad hoc basis, and as assigned by the General Manager Corporate and Financial Services.
Financial Services and County Budget:
- Establish objectives, oversee and monitor the following:results of municipal financial management and reporting processes; financial and accounting practices implemented with respect to accounts payable, tangible capital assets, tax roll and utilities; taxation processes and services; and, grant reporting.
- Working with Finance team members, prepare audit working papers and account reconciliations; liaise with financial statement auditors.
- Manage the implementation of effective and efficient banking procedures.
- Establish, implement and evaluate internal controls.
- Approve journal entries prepared by Finance team members.
- Approve monthly reconciling reports (utilities, taxation, accounts payable and bank reconciliations).
- Manage the County’s budgeting process.
- Answer inquiries from staff members regarding financial related questions.
- Review and establish internal controls for financial safeguarding of assets.
- Review, establish and streamline internal procedures for staff.
Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S):
- Maintain own compliance with OH&S and ensure all applicable employees are in compliance with OH&S including employee attendance at regular safety meetings, employees being properly trained in OH&S related topics, and ensuring employees complete work in a safe manner.
- A degree or diploma from a recognized post-secondary educational institution in the field of finance or accounting along with an accounting designation (e.g., CPA CA, CMA, CGA)
- Minimum of five (5) years related experience with progressively more responsibility ideally with a rural municipality
- Minimum of 1-2 years of supervisory experience
- Expertise in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel) including Diamond Municipal Solutions
- Excellent communication skills including written, verbal / interpersonal, and presentation skills
- Effective problem solving and decision making skills
- Effective organizational and time management skills; comfortable managing many different priorities concurrently in a fast paced environment
- Valid Class 5 Alberta drivers’ licence
- This position works a 5 day work week, Monday to Friday, with one day off in a 3 week cycle; hours of work: standard 37.5 hour work week
Closing Date: September 28, 2018 at 4 p.m.
Please submit resume to:
Human Resources (Marked confidential)
RR1 Hwy 1
Strathmore, Alberta T1P 1J6
Fax (403) 934-4889 or email@example.com
In accordance with Wheatland County’s Personnel Policy, the successful candidate will be required to submit to a Criminal Records Check, and must be legally entitled to work for any employer in Canada. Must have a valid Class 5 Alberta Drivers’ License. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.