Senior Purchasing Officer
Senior Purchasing OfficerAre you a purchasing professional with experience in public procurement? We have opportunities for senior purchasing officers, who will be authorized to make contractual commitments for the acquisition of commodities. You’ll be responsible to ensure the integrity of the acquisition process and maximize acquisition strategies. Your activities will include coordinating projects, monitoring and maintaining vendor performance, creating contractual documents, and conducting negotiations while responding to both external and internal clients in a high pressure environment.
What you’ll do
As a senior purchasing officer you will:
- Arrange necessary project resources to ensure the clients’ requirements are met by creating and monitoring procurement timelines and preparing associated bid documents
- Plan, lead, and facilitate the procurement process in multi-disciplinary procurement project team meetings
- Conduct and coordinate pre-bid meetings, on site tours, and act as a mediator in representing WorkSafeBC interests and vendor fair play
- Plan commodity acquisitions that usually involve highly technical specifications and complex evaluation processes to meet the needs of the client
- Prepare, write, and review legal contracts and analyze contracts for potential problems and opportunities
- Ensure the integrity of WorkSafeBC is maintained through the entire bid process by understanding legal duties and obligations of WorkSafeBC and bidders
- Research current markets and investigate information for the development of negotiation strategy
- Maintain general knowledge of the quality and value of a wide range of commodities
- Manage and optimize a portfolio of commodities
- Coordinate the roles of each member on the evaluation team and lead negotiations to ensure a comprehensive and value-added package is secured for acquisition
- Assemble and analyze acquisition dates, specifications, applications, contract terms, and lead-time for commodities of major dollar value
Is this a good fit for you?
We’re looking for someone who can:
- Provide work direction and act as a resource to co-workers and to lead evaluation teams in selecting a product or service
- Establish and maintain credible and cooperative working relationships with clients, vendors, and peers
- Identify and thoroughly analyze complex purchases and make recommendations in accordance with established policies using initiative, resourcefulness, and sound judgment
- Provide working knowledge of legal issues and financial principles as they relate to the sale of goods and services
- Present technical information in a clear and concise manner, both verbally and in writing, to technical and non-technical audiences
- A minimum of six years of recent procurement experience, of which at least four years are purchasing officer experience
- Supply Chain Management Professional (SCMP) designation from the Supply Chain Management Association (or equivalent body from outside of Canada)
Who are we?
At WorkSafeBC, we’re dedicated to promoting safe and healthy workplaces across British Columbia. We partner with workers and employers to save lives and prevent injury, disease, and disability. When work-related injuries or diseases occur, we provide compensation, and support injured workers in their recovery, rehabilitation, and safe return to work. We also work diligently to sustain our workers compensation system for today and future generations. We’re honoured to serve the almost 2.3 million workers and 231,000 registered employers in our province.
What’s it like to work at WorkSafeBC?
It’s challenging, stimulating, and hugely rewarding. Our positions offer tremendous diversity and excellent opportunities for professional growth. Every day, the work we do impacts people and changes lives. What we do is important and so are the people we do it for.
Being part of WorkSafeBC means being part of a strong, committed team. Along with a competitive salary, your total compensation package includes vacation, optional leave arrangements, health care and dental benefits, and contributions toward a defined benefit pension plan. As a member of our team, you'll have access to services and benefits that can help you get the most out of work — and life. Learn more about what we offer.
We’re an inclusive and accessible employer, committed to employment equity objectives, and we invite applications from all qualified individuals. Please note that this position is restricted to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
If you’re the successful applicant, we’ll be making a conditional offer contingent upon your clearing a criminal record check under the Criminal Records Review Act. At the time of offer, you’ll need to provide consent for a criminal record check. Once we receive clearance, we’ll confirm your offer of employment.
Visit our career page at https://www.worksafebc.com/en and select Current Opportunities to submit a resume and cover letter that details your characteristics, accomplishments, and prior work experience related to the requirements for the position. We can only accept applications submitted through our website.
Application deadline: October 4, 2018
Thank you, in advance, for applying. Unfortunately, we’re only able to contact those whose applications we will be pursuing further.