City of Corner Brook
Corner Brook's metro population is about 26,000. It's Newfoundland's scenic city. It serves the west coast, you'll find pretty much everything you'd see in any other Canadian city. You will immediately notice the spectacular setting. The city is on the eastern end of Humber Arm and surrounded by some of the largest mountains in Newfoundland. It is one of the prettiest cities in Canada.
While in town, make sure you drop by the Newfoundland Emporium. They have everything Newfoundland. You will find crafts, used books, antiques and many eclectic items. You can even pick up a hologram of Joey Smallwood (Newfoundland's first Premier). Corner Brook is also a cruise ship stop, for the growing North Atlantic cruise industry.
Come and enjoy the friendliest city in Canada that is also an outdoor enthusiast’s paradise for all seasons. You will not be disappointed, be assured.
The City Manager, as the most senior member of staff, is responsible for the overall management and administration of the City. The City Manager reports directly to Council and leads the municipal management team and all employees in the delivery of effective and efficient public services. The City Manager must provide leadership, guidance, and support to the employees of the municipality as they implement the policies and decisions of Council.
The City Manager must be comfortable and competent with, managing information and making decisions, negotiating with people, finding innovative solutions to problems, and administering and monitoring budgets. The ideal candidate must possess the ability to adapt their management style to the needs of council and to understand the culture of the organization and the community.
- Ensure the overall management and administration of the City of Corner Brook is effective and efficient.
- Provide clear options, full information, and sound professional advice to Council with regard to the development of short and long term strategies for the City.
- Provide accurate information and appropriate guidance, for the development and revision of policies and regulations for the City, and for the effective and efficient management of the municipality as a whole.
- Provide leadership, direction, vision, supervision, and support to the senior management team and all departments & employees of the City.
- Ensure all polices and directives from Council are followed and implemented while ensuring each department is contributing to the provision of information and professional advice required by Council.
- Provide Council with regular updates on the status of municipal activities and relationships.
- Oversee the municipal Emergency Measures Organization and management of crisis in the case of an emergency within the City.
- Establish and monitor performance measures for each department and the municipality as a whole; in consultation with members of the senior management team, implement appropriate changes to address any deficiencies.
- Liaise with all levels of government, community members, and various stakeholders.
- Represent the City externally while adhering to any directions or directives set out by Council.
- Ensure all activities and decisions of the municipality are compliant with the City of Corner Brook Act and all other applicable municipal, provincial and federal legislation.
- Ensure the City’s fiscal position and overall financial management controls are well managed and maintained.
- Ensure a professional, collaborative, and learning culture is nurtured and maintained throughout the organization.
- Perform other related duties as responsibilities as requested by Council.
Key Success Factors
- Must have an academic background in an area of public administration, business administration, engineering, accounting, or land use planning and development.
- Must have a minimum of 10 years’ experience in a senior management role with a municipality
- Must have exceptional leadership, decision making, analytical, planning, organizational, as well as oral and written communications skills.
- Must work effectively with elected officials, unionized and exempt staff, as well as community members.
- Must have a solid understanding of all departments and areas of responsibility within the City.
- Must have a good understanding of all key legislative and regulatory requirements that apply to the City (municipal, provincial, federal and international) and be able to ensure all legal and regulatory requirements are met.
- Excellent ability to multi-task and oversee complex negotiations and planning processes.
- Excellent ability to professionally represent the City and the community.
- Must have the ability to effectively deal with high pressure and challenging situations.
- Capable of working irregular hours and have the flexibility and willingness to travel.
- Must be bondable.
- Must have a clean code of conduct.
- Must have or be able to obtain a valid Newfoundland & Labrador Driver’s License.
- Incumbent will be expected to enter into an employment contract
- Normal City work hours are daily Monday to Friday
- Incumbent expected to attend various meetings and functions outside of regular work hours without additional compensation
- Incumbent expected to be on-call when required without additional compensation
To apply: please forward resume and cover letter to email@example.com
For more information on this exciting opportunity please contact Glen Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org or toll free at 1-888-447-5910 x705