Manager of IT Infrastructure and Operations
Manager of IT Infrastructure and Operations
The Comox Valley is an attractive geographic location, rich in rural agriculture, vibrant urban development, meandering coastline and dramatic mountains. There are spectacular outdoor activities available throughout the region, offering unlimited possibilities to current and prospective residents.
At the Comox Valley Regional District (CVRD) we work collaboratively, continually look toward the future and strive to be the change we wish to see in our communities. Our values coupled with a commitment to leadership excellence and a resolute focus on serving the residents of the Comox Valley, help to create an organizational culture that’s second to none. What we do goes beyond work, offering our employees the support to achieve and maintain a healthy balance between work and lifestyle. Working with the CVRD is a plus for everyone.
We are currently seeking a Manager of IT Infrastructure and Operations to join our Corporate Services team. The Corporate Services Branch operates in a support fashion to ensure the administrative, communications and information technology needs of other CVRD branches are met. With a focus on timely, effective, and professional customer service the Manager of IT Infrastructure and Operations is responsible for a broad range of Information Technology (IT) services and technical operations functions including managing the server infrastructure and networking services across a number of sites. This position has a focus on enterprise security management, high availability, capacity and scalability, disaster recovery and business continuity. Reporting to the Senior Manager of Information Systems and GIS, the primary responsibilities of this role include:
- Leading the design and development of IT infrastructure architecture in alignment with the organization’s strategic priorities and department objectives to optimize the cost effectiveness and reliability of existing and new systems;
- Set-up, configuration, repair and replacement of servers, network switches, network appliances, network bridges and microwave dishes;
- Supervising staff including providing training and guidance, conducting performance evaluations and participating in hiring, promotion, disciplinary, demotion and termination decisions when required;
- Troubleshooting and solving software, operating system and wide area network problems;
- Computer systems asset management, network and computer support documentation;
- Server design, purchase, set-up, administration and upgrading/patching;
- Mobile device management, backup and recovery.
Our ideal candidate is:
- Current in new technology and industry initiatives with a broad knowledge of information and network security;
- Educated in computer science (or related) at the post-secondary level (Bachelor’s Degree) with over two up to five years of experience in real-time server and network systems set-up and support in a local government (or similar) environment OR at the diploma level with ten years of related experience and a valid BC Class 5 Driver’s License;
- Experienced in the design and management of field upgrades and installations as well as programming, trouble shooting and diagnosing problems related to wireless network/microwave radio communications, servers, computers, Cisco routers and Cisco network switches;
- Skilled in the setup, configuration and repair of server based computers;
- Motivated with the ability to plan, prioritize, and meet deadlines under pressure;
- Quick thinking and skilled in diagnosing/troubleshooting network and equipment problems including extensive experience with Ethernet and wireless networks;
- A strong communicator capable of explaining technical concepts/information to users of various ability levels;
- Team-oriented with experience supervising staff, including the ability to lead, coach and motivate;
- Eligible for CISSP designation;
- Certified in Microsoft Office Suite with strong utilization skills with Adobe Acrobat, Explorer, web utilization skills and SharePoint applications;
- Flexible in working after hours when required in the event of equipment breakdown or emergencies (WorkSafeBC approved tower climbing training course preferred).
This is an exempt position and is not part of any union bargaining unit.
To review the complete job description and to apply go to www.comoxvalleyrd.ca/jobs.
The closing date for this position is 3:00 pm, September 21, 2018. Applications for available positions with the CVRD must be received prior to the indicated closing date and time. We appreciate all applications; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The Comox Valley Regional District is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all individuals.