Policy / Planning / Research
Palliser Regional Municipal Services
Palliser Regional Municipal Services is an inter-municipal service agency, centrally located in Hanna Alberta, providing Professional Planning, GIS, Safety Code and other services to 25 member municipalities in East-Central Alberta. The Town of Hanna is centrally located in the region and has a full range of community and recreational facilities. Hanna is approximately a 2 hour drive from the Cities of Calgary and Red Deer and a 45 minute drive from the Town of Drumheller.
Palliser Regional Municipal Services is seeking a motivated, self-starter to fill the role of Senior Planner within our organization. This position is responsible for ensuring that the work program for Statutory Planning and Land Use Bylaw preparation, updates and amendments is completed professionally and on schedule. This is a senior level position that requires extensive experience in long range land use planning functions. Experience with legislative requirements such as the Municipal Government Act and Alberta Regulations are necessary to succeed in this position. The Senior Planner provides ongoing liaison with all agencies, municipalities and individuals involved in the planning process. This position must also act in the capacity of providing ongoing municipal advice on topics related to planning and municipal policy. This senior level position will also provide mentorship and guidance to other staff members.
Your primary role with Palliser Regional Municipal Services Co. Ltd.:
- Preparation, implementation and review of statutory planning documents including but not limited to Intermunicipal Development Plans (IDPs), Municipal Development Plans (MDPs), Area Structure Plans (ASPs) and Concept Plans.
- Preparation and review of Land Use Bylaws (LUBs).
- Statutory Plan and Land Use Bylaw amendment application processing, reporting and presentation.
- Subdivision approval authority; provide advice and guidance to applicants and municipalities while ensuring statutory requirements are met, occasionally preparing subdivision applications, presenting recommendations to subdivision committees, assisting municipalities with subdivision appeal hearings.
- Development Control; assisting municipalities with development appeal procedures by supporting Development Officers, providing advice and recommendations on conditions, and attending development appeal hearings when required.
- Development and implementation of a work program to ensure all municipalities receive timely plan reviews and updates.
- Provide assistance and advice to member municipalities and staff members on policy, subdivision related matters, annexations, road closures and interpretation of development related matters.
- Attend meetings during and outside of regular office hours as required.
- Conduct grant research and reporting on behalf of municipalities pertaining to planning projects.
- Correspond by written and verbal dialogue with municipal administration, councils, committees and other public and private sector agencies.
The successful candidate possesses a degree in Urban and Regional Planning combined with at least three years of responsible planning experience. An APPI/CIP regulated member is required. Regulated members include those who are Candidates or RPP members of the Institute.
The individual has a strong working knowledge of the Municipal Government Act and possesses the following qualities:
- Motivated and able to work independently with substantial inter-personal written and presentation skills.
- Knowledge in planning terminology, practices, procedures and standards.
- Superior customer service skills.
- Proficiency in the use of personal computers, word processing and maintaining an efficient and organized work flow.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft applications and other related software is required. ArcGIS and AutoCAD Mapping experience would be an asset but is not mandatory.
- Enthusiastic and passionate about moving things forward, and a self-starter who takes initiative and follows through to completion.
- Superior interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills, as well as excellent organizational, time management skills and the ability to multi-task.
- The position requires a valid driver’s license to enable travel throughout the region.
Our organization offers a highly attractive total compensation package, including competitive salary, excellent benefits, learning & development opportunities as well as a great work environment which provides excellent opportunities for professional growth. The salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Closing Date: December 31, 2018
Qualified candidates should submit a letter of interest and resume outlining their experience and qualifications to the attention of the undersigned:
George Glazier, Chairman of the Board of Directors
Palliser Regional Municipal Services
P.O. Drawer 1900
Hanna, Alberta. T0J 1P0
Phone: (403) 854-3371 Fax: (403) 854-4684
We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest, but only those applicants who are selected for an interview will be contacted. The Position will remain open until a suitable candidate is selected