Systems Analyst II
Systems Analyst II
Requisition ID: 11759
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The primary purpose of this position is to provide deep analytical and technical support for the operation and evolution of multiple enterprise applications and their interfaces. The key objective is to streamline technologies and processes, while continually adapting to new business needs and Technology Services standards. It includes solution requirement gathering, process reviews, solution design, development-support, testing, documentation and business process support, and reactive technical support. This position provides ongoing application support and responsibilities may include performing changes to business application configuration and programs. This position has access to confidential information and makes recommendations for changes in methods, processes and procedures that may impact on financial and operational areas as well as staffing workloads, working conditions, changes in positions or staffing levels.
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationship
Reports to a Team Manager within Digital Channels team, works closely with Support, Program and Project team members, external Vendors, Help Centre staff, business clients, and other IT partners. May supervise external consultants, and evaluate developers for project deliverables.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepares documentation including project management, system requirements, business cases, system reviews, training, system configuration, etc.
- Perform data-driven analytics directly from sources including databases, system logs, BI environments, etc.
- Participates in the design, development, implementation and maintenance of IT and or business applications’ configuration and programming to meet business and operational requirements.
- Consults with business clients to understand their requirements and processes.
- Explore and develop systems alternatives including work procedure changes, and recommends the most suitable alternative.
- Develops technical specifications including diagrams and charts to provide the blueprints for developers to write or code programs.
- Manages projects through all phases from planning through to maintenance and support.
- Reviews or develops test scripts and scenarios to ensure adequate testing of system configuration and integration.
- Performs testing, configuration changes, enhancements and new functionality in order to ensure system integrity and proper integration across various applications.
- Remains current with developments in applications and related technologies, including releases and enhancements/new functionality.
- Identifies opportunities to improve IT or Business operational effectiveness through the use of technology and makes recommendations where appropriate.
- Delivers presentations to customers (users, departments) and technical staff on systems solutions and specific technologies.
- Provides problem resolution for calls referred by Help Desk.
- Investigates and follows up on application system errors/problems, and liaises with IT staff or vendors as required to resolve these issues.
- Provides technical assistance business applications upgrades and the implementation of other modules, including integration to other applications.
- Provides support to corporate and departmental reporting, assists in the use of existing reports, and develops/documents additional reports, as required.
- Monitors applications performance, troubleshoots problems with technical specialists.
- Participates in training of customers and provides on-going training support and guidance.
- Participates in the development of new standards, and leads technical committees.
- Has access to highly sensitive and business critical data from all City departments (e.g., taxes and utilities owing, parking tickets outstanding, and vendor pricing).
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
- Related Post-secondary degree, with preference for graduate degree in Computer Science or Business Administration or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in supporting complex business applications.
- Knowledge of current trends, standards, and products in Information Technology (i.e. Mobile Computing, Cloud infrastructure, Business Intelligence, Data and Analytics, Social Media, integrations).
- Extensive knowledge of municipal business processes would be an asset.
- Demonstrated operational and project management skills: results focused, team oriented, familiar with Agile PM methodology.
- Broad knowledge across multiple aspects of the business (i.e., organizational structure, key players, current business processes and supporting systems and services, etc.)
- Thorough knowledge of related corporate applications and work procedures.
- 5+ years’ experience with application development methods and principles.
- 5+years’ experience with application configurations and environment management.
- 5+years’ experience with server technology and software.
- 5+years’ experience with SQL and Oracle database platforms and usage.
- 5+years’ experience with system integration between business applications and across technical platforms.
- Thorough working knowledge of office productivity tools (e.g. Windows, MS Office, MS Project, Visio, VSTS, etc.)
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Combination of strong technical and business skills required.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Excellent oral, written and presentation skills with ability to communicate to all levels of the organization.
- Ability to manage projects, multiple priorities and respond to requests in a timely manner.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships both internally and externally with technical and non-technical staff.
- Continuous improvement and continuous learning mindset.
Business Unit/Department: IT, Digital Strategy & 311 (1070)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: August 2018
Application Close: August 21, 2018
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.