Library Public Service Associate II
Library Public Service Associate II
Requisition ID: 11682
Company: Vancouver Public Library
The Vancouver Public Library (VPL) is the third largest public library system in Canada, with 800 staff members offering services at 22 branches across the city. VPL values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly service. Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive, and rewarding workplace.
Job Summary: Reporting to the Library Assistant V, the incumbent supports the day-to-day operation of the branch while adhering to the Library's policies and procedures in accordance with the Library's vision, mission and values. Assists and instructs patrons on the use of self-service technology. Answers basic informational questions, resolves issues and refers as needed. Provides basic reader’s advisory by referring to existing tools, booklists and databases. Provides assistance to patrons with logon to computers, printers, connecting to the Library’s wifi. Provides assistance to patrons with booking computers. Creates and maintains patron records. Applies system policies and procedures consistent with the Library’s service philosophy. Facilitates payment transactions. Promotes library services and initiatives. Supports the distribution of the Inspiration Pass and Community Inspiration Pass. Receives, responds and refers patron complaints following established guidelines. Participates in ensuring the health and safety of staff and the security of the worksite by completing security incident reports. Staffs service desk and roves around the library, assisting patrons at the point of contact. Checks out / checks in library materials including using automated tools.
- Completion of Grade 12 education, supplemented by post-secondary courses, such as computer courses.
- Relevant related library service with some demonstrated team lead or supervisory experience.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of the objectives, organization, procedures, services and resources of the Library.
- Ability to assess procedures, implement new or revised work methods and procedures, and to make decisions in light of established precedents.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills as well as analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to plan, organize and carry out assigned duties and responsibilities.
- Strong commitment to serving clients; open, pragmatic and responsive to clients and community.
- Ability to provide direction and first level supervision to a clerical staff team; good team-building and leadership skills.
- Proficiency with integrated library software, and other software related to the work, such as Excel.
- Ability to learn new technologies, applications & software, processes and skills.
- Innovative and flexible in a rapidly changing library environment with the ability to assist staff to participate in and be open to change.
- An understanding of the complex social and political environment of the Downtown Eastside community is an asset.
Affiliation: CUPE 391
Employment Type: 2 Posted Part Time positions with Benefits
Salary: $22.98 to $26.91 per hour
Mon - 9:50 - 1:50
Tue - 9:50 - 1:50
Wed - 9:50 - 1:50
Sat - 9:50 - 1:50
Sun - 9:50 - 1:50
Mon - 6:05 - 10:05
Thu - 9:50 - 1:50
Fri - 9:50 - 1:50
Sat - 6:05 - 10:05
Sun - 6:05 - 10:05
Shift schedule may be changed with adequate notice.
Closing date: Monday, August 20, 2018 at midnight.
While the Library thanks you in advance, only those candidates being considered will be contacted.
As the Vancouver Public Library is responsible for the well-being of its patrons, a Police Record Check clearance is a condition of employment. Please refer to our policy for further information. Personal information collected is used in accordance with the BC Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. VPL values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve. Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.