Corporate PlannerCompetition Number: RC 2018 0049
Division: Corporate Services
Department: Corporate Planning
Close Date: September 6, 2018
Salary Range: $101,963 to $125,954
The City of Spruce Grove is a fast growing, dynamic city committed to building and maintaining a fiscally responsible community that serves our residents, attracts visitors and promotes future growth. Through the actions of the Values We Live By, accountability, communication, leadership, integrity and respect are encouraged, while maintaining a work, play balance.
The Corporate Planner is responsible for the City's corporate planning, corporate performance and corporate project management processes. The incumbent manages the corporate planning process and leads and facilitates the organization in corporate planning activities leading to the development of the Corporate Plan. He/She also provides project management expertise to the organization in order to facilitate implementation of initiatives. This position reports to the General Manager of Corporate Services.
- Corporate Planning Process:
- Lead and implement annual corporate planning activities.
- Facilitate Council to develop their strategic plan and priorities through an annual strategic planning event.
- Provide expertise and advice to Departments in developing their annual plans and initiatives.
- Provide expertise and advice to management and staff in the development of plans to ensure they align with the Corporate Plan. Review all major planning documents for alignment and appropriate integration into the Corporate Plan.
- Facilitate meetings to discuss how decision making and choice selections can affect the long term viability and overall effectiveness of the organization.
- Develop and maintain corporate planning policies, procedures, guidelines, templates, and tools etc. to support the corporate planning process.
- Author the Corporate Plan for presentation and approval of Council.
- Lead an annual corporate planning debrief with Finance to review and refine the planning and budgeting processes.
- Complete analysis of various corporate initiatives as required.
- Develop and implement the Corporate Planning business plan.
- Corporate Performance Measurement and Corporate Plan Reporting:
- Design and maintain a corporate performance measurement program to identify and develop outcome-based performance indicators and measures for the Corporate Plan.
- Responsible for the development and implementation of key strategic performance indicators and corporate scoreboards resulting in corporate reporting, monitoring and forecasting models.
- Coordinate and author regular reports on the status of the Corporate Plan initiatives to Council. Provide oversight in the development of related presentations to Council.
- Responsible for tracking and reporting the conformance to project scope, budget and schedule of the Corporate Plan and reporting these to Senior Leadership Team.
- Project Management:
- Build internal capability, share knowledge and provide advice on relevant business management-related topics by providing project management subject matter expertise and support in a consulting and advisory role to project leads (such as project management, strategic planning, business planning, performance measurement and analytics, coaching/guidance to project stakeholders and team members). Help project leads define project approach, scope and deliverables, schedules and resources, project governance, project monitoring, tracking and reporting.
- Incorporate project management standards, processes and procedures in support of the Corporate Plan framework.
- Supervisory Management:
- Provide a high level of coaching, training, and mentoring to section staff in the achievement of their goals and projects on an ongoing basis as well as through the performance management process.
- Manage the daily operations of the Corporate Planning department, setting goals and expectations for the team, making decisions regarding staffing matters, stressing the importance of teamwork, ensuring the overall efficiency of the services provided by the team as a whole.
- Post-secondary Degree in Business or equivalent. MBA is advantageous.
- NACLAA program or CLGM certification is advantageous.
- In lieu of education, significant and similar work in local government or as a business or management consultant.
- 10+ years of related experience in the areas of strategic planning, facilitation, project management, change management, corporate performance programs.
- Project Management and/or Change Management certification an asset.
Visit our website at https://www.sprucegrove.org/ for more information and to apply online.