Operations Manager (Tactical Training Centre)
Operations Manager (Tactical Training Centre)
Requisition ID: 11795
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
Reporting to the Manager or Corporate Protective Services , this leadership position is responsible for managing the City of Vancouver's Tactical Training Centre, a state-of-the-art police training centre that houses two shooting ranges and a set of control tactics training rooms and classrooms. While the Vancouver Police Department is the primary user of this facility, it is also available on a rental basis to law enforcement and private security agencies for their training and qualification needs.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- A major part of this temporary opportunity is to conduct a comprehensive business review, develop a strategic plan with recommendations for the future of the Tactical Training Centre (TTC).
- Develop a mission, vision, values and guiding principles for the TTC that aligns with City plans, strategies and priorities.
- Implement the strategic plan to move toward the vision in a defined period of time.
- Develop and implement a marketing strategy that will maximize revenues within the guiding principles of the TTC.
- Lead the day to day delivery of programs, services and activities for to ensure efficient, timely and consistent delivery of services.
- Implement and control the efficient and effective procurement, storage and disbursement of supplies, including the safe care and control of weapons and ammunition.
- Develop and maintain excellent client relationships.
- Manage the facility, including developing and implementing maintenance plans.
- Develop facility use schedules and agreements with internal and external agencies.
- In concert with other City Departments and contractors, manage the facility’s security, maintenance and operations.
- Oversee and supervise facility and seconded staff assigned to the Centre, including assigning and reviewing work..
- Develops and implements procedures, methods, and standards and ensures controls are created and followed to foster operational efficiency, monitor compliance, mitigate risks, and achieve unit results.
- Develop and implement proper inventory procedures based on warehousing best practices.
- Ensure that range safety programs and policies are in place and being followed.
- Review financial performance and allocates resources and implements required action.
- Develop performance metrics for the TTC and report to senior management on a regular basis.
Education and Experience:
- Master’s Degree in Business, Marketing or a related field
- Significant experience in business planning, project management and/or marketing
- Extensive management experience (minimum ten years) in a preferably in a union environment
- Experience in facility management, dealing with customers and scheduling and/or range or training facility operations
- Experience in financial management including accounting and budgeting
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work collaboratively with multiple stakeholders to achieve organizational objectives and business targets.
- Knowledge of weapons range and law enforcement training operations, range safety issues and procedures would be considered an asset
- Good computer skills and working knowledge of computer information access and protection
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, managing competing priorities effectively.
- Ability to handle confidential and/or sensitive information with a high degree of discretion and impartially
- Skilled in conflict resolution and the ability to identify potential pitfalls and problems areas
A current and valid BC Driver’s License is a requirement of this position. The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities. Transportation arrangements must meet operational requirements of the Department.
Ability to pass and maintain an Enhanced Reliability Check.
Business Unit/Department: Real Estate & Facilities Mgmt (1100)
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: September, 2018
Position End Date: September, 2020
Application Close: Augsut 26, 2018
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.