Payroll/Accounts Payable Supervisor
Payroll/Accounts Payable Supervisor
Are you a seasoned professional in the Payroll/Accounts Payable field who excels in a cross-functional team environment? Do you pride yourself on ensuring Payroll and AP processes are accurate, reliable and timely to meet organizational commitments to employees and vendors? If this describes your career path, then the City of Lethbridge has an exciting opportunity for you. We are currently seeking an experienced Payroll/Accounts Payable Supervisor to join our Financial Services team. Our diverse organization (www.lethbridge.ca) is comprised of 1500 employees across a wide variety of business areas. Located just two hours south of Calgary and close to the Rocky Mountains and U.S. border, Lethbridge is a family-oriented and culturally vibrant community with diverse recreational opportunities, fine restaurants & shopping, and home to two innovative post-secondary institutions – the University of Lethbridge and Lethbridge College.
As the Supervisor, you will be accountable for the successful operation of the City’s PeopleSoft Payroll and JD Edwards Accounts Payable processes. You will ensure that all related policies, legislation and collective agreement information are accurately interpreted and applied, to ensure accurate and timely pay for employees and vendors. Additionally, you will oversee and coordinate the activities of the Payroll & Accounts Payable staff. You will provide training and development opportunities for them to excel in their roles, and be responsible for setting performance expectations, and providing support and corrective assistance when needed.
You will also be responsible for the ongoing development and management of the Payroll & AP systems to ensure they are optimally operating, and that required internal controls are in place. This will include other Financial Services Payment Systems such as the Corporate Procurement Card program, Corporate Car Allowance system, and Automated Invoice Processing systems. You will analyze system capabilities and limitations to lead improvement initiatives. This will involve developing and testing changes, new system enhancements, and upgrades – while working collaboratively with other key internal and external stakeholders. You will also actively participate and coordinate the completion of other related projects and initiatives.
Other key duties will include:
- Coordinating time approval processes & reporting
- Executing bi-weekly payroll processing
- Payroll reconciliation activities, including:
- T-slips, EI Rebate, WCB Assessment & associated working papers for Financial Statements
- CRA reconciliations & reporting
- RRSP & TFSA group plan management
- Retroactive pay adjustments
- Managing Payroll & Accounts Payable budgets
As the successful candidate, you are respected for your expertise and commitment to best practices. This will be complemented by your ability to foster relationships that are collaborative, responsive and supportive. You are known for your strategic thinking and initiative; and have a proven track record in delivering results in a fast-paced and deadline-driven environment.
Additionally, your professional background should also include:
- Successful leadership and supervisory skills & experience
- Certified Payroll Manager (CPM) designation, complemented by a minimum of 4 years’ Payroll & Accounts Payable experience using computerized financial systems -- preferably in a municipal setting *equivalent combinations of education and work experience may be considered*
- Expert knowledge of PeopleSoft Payroll & JD Edwards Accounts Payable functionality
- The ability to successfully meet deadlines and manage & adapt to multiple priorities on a daily basis
- Advanced analytical & decision-making skills
- Excellent attention to accuracy & superior troubleshooting skills
- Proficient understanding of accounting principles
- Effective risk identification and mitigation skills
- Political acumen, tact, and diplomacy -- with a high regard for maintaining confidential information
- Advanced computer skills using the Microsoft Office suite of applications
The City of Lethbridge offers a competitive salary and an attractive flexible benefits package.
For further information on this opportunity, please contact:
Barry Sawada, Controller, at 403-320-3981, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resume with cover letter, online at:
Closing Date: Wednesday, September 5, 2018, at 11:59 p.m.
All candidates are thanked in advance for their interest. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.