Utilities Maintenance - Sewer 1
City of Courtenay
Utilities Maintenance - Sewer 1
The City of Courtenay invites applications for the relief position of "Utilities Maintenance – Sewer 1" in the Transportation & Utilities Maintenance Division. This is a union position subject to the terms and conditions in the collective agreement between the City and CUPE Local 556.
Working as part of a cooperative team effort, and through the use of manual labour and powered equipment and tools, the incumbent constructs and/or installs, inspects, maintains, cleans and repairs various components of the City’s sewer and storm drainage systems.
Minimum qualifications include:
- Grade 12 or equivalency
- Current Wastewater Collection Level I certification through Environmental Operators Certification Program (EOCP) (willingness to work towards obtaining Wastewater Collection Level II)
- Valid BC Class 3 Drivers License with Air Endorsement
- Sound (minimum 3 years) experience working safely and effectively in the wastewater collection and storm water collection system(s), including hands on experience of installation, maintenance and repair of sewer main, storm mains, lift stations, pumps, manholes, and other related collection system components
- Some experience in the safe operation of heavy equipment (Combination Sewer Cleaner/Hydro-Vac truck Front End Loader, Dump Truck etc.) within the last three (3) years
- Sound knowledge of proper public works construction and maintenance practices related to sewer and storm water utilities infrastructure
- Some knowledge of mechanical and hydraulic principles
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Basic office computer skills
- Ability to interpret and apply City bylaws, policies, procedures, system diagrams and mapping, and construction standards and specifications
- Ability to create and maintain manual and/or computerized records and report/interpret data information
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions in an independent manner
- Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships within a team oriented operation
- Ability to frequently perform heavy manual labour over long periods of time and frequently work around unpleasant odours and in potentially hazardous working conditions such as heavy traffic areas, trenches, manholes, and other confined spaces
- Sound work ethics
This is a temporary full-time position available immediately for approximately 4 months or until return of the incumbent. The 2018 hourly wage rate is $32.09 based on a 40-hour workweek. In addition, EOCP Certificate bonuses are paid as per LOU dated May 5, 2016.
Interested persons with the above qualifications should submit a letter of application and resume clearly marked "Application – Utilities Maintenance – Sewer 1" no later than August 19, 2018.
To submit your application, click on the “Apply” button below
We sincerely thank all applicants – only those short-listed for interviews will be contacted.
Interested persons with the above qualifications should submit a resume outlining how they meet the qualifications, along with a covering letter clearly marked "Application – Utilities Maintenance – Sewer 1", no later than April 23, 2018.
To apply, go to www.courtenay.ca/jobs