Squamish First Nation
Squamish First Nation
Business Revenue & Services Department, North Vancouver, BC
Council Advisory & Support Department, North Vancouver, BC
Posted: August 1, 2018
Posting Closes: August 23, 2018
This position reports directly to Squamish Nation Council Co-Chairs and is responsible for supporting the execution of the communication needs and initiatives. They will work with Co-Chairs and Council Spokespeople as directed, to draft, refine and implement written and digital communications. This position is responsible for writing, proofreading, editing and creating content for use in internal or external communications. This position works collaboratively and coordinates communications activities to the public, media, and Nation’s members through print and digital, supporting/preparing Council and management, as applicable, for media requests. This position has exceptional writing and research capabilities with a passion for educating and informing. Strong understanding of social media, press release process, media relations will aid him/her in effective messaging. The incumbent has a strong interest for creative writing, storytelling, and excellent ability to articulate information. The incumbent operates at a high level of tact, confidentiality, diplomacy, and integrity.
Typical Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assist with the development and execution of communications tactics for Squamish Nation Council.
- Creates and syndicates media materials as per established process/authority.
- Supports Council with member relations and communications.
- Coordinates and administers media relations and publicity.
- Oversees online presence and general communication to membership.
- Manage Squamish Nation’s digital communication tools and platforms including website, social media and e- newsletter.
- Provides regular updates to Council.
- Acts as in-house lead on all communications activities and promotes awareness of external communications activities with departments.
- Adheres to workplace health & safety policies, safe work practices and procedures.
- Participates as member of the Council Advisory & Support Team.
Education, Level of Experience & Hiring Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Journalism, and/or Public Relations or a relevant/related field from a recognized post-secondary institution.
- Plus 2-5 years of directly-related work experience in the majority of duties listed in this job description including implementing communications and public relations tactics, creating and publishing media materials/press releases, etc., managing online communications presence, media and community/membership/public relations, etc.
- As career progresses, incumbent will be required to successfully complete job-required, short-term upgrading, training and courses relating to communication and public relations strategies, computer programming, social media, writing, etc.
- Experience as an intermediate level user of MS Office, the internet, etc.
- Working experience with a large-scale computerized database system.
- Intermediate proficiency in web applications like Google and experience using various social media/platforms (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube) preferably in web content management systems.
- Experience with media relations and/or using media distribution channels.
- Prior experience working with a First Nations/Board/organization is an asset.
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends and a flexible work schedule as required.
- Must successfully complete Criminal Records Check as per Squamish Nation Policy.
- Willing to considering Diploma in above mentioned fields plus minimum of 5 years related work experience, where incumbent progresses into position over time through work experience and/or additional education/training.
- A combination of relevant/related education/work experience may be considered for above education/experience. The above requirements are what Squamish Nation is seeking in the ideal incumbent at the time of posting and are subject to change, based on the needs of Squamish Nation.
Application MUST Include:
- Cover Letter & Resume
- References from direct supervisors, and
- Official copies of school records
Salary As per Squamish Nation Performance & Compensation Strategy.
All applications must be completed using on-line application, at: http://applynow.net.au/jobs/
Chen Chen Stway Human Resources 336 West 4th Street, North Vancouver, BC V7M 1J1 604-985-8335
ONLY APPLICANTS WITH RELEVANT TRAINING & EXPERIENCE WILL BE CONTACTED FOR AN INTERVIEW