Manager Fire Safety & Operational Response
Manager Fire Safety & Operational Response
Requisition ID: 8244
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world by 2020 and we are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Manager, Fire Safety and Operational Response will have the opportunity to build a new corporate Facilities Fire Safety Program for the City of Vancouver from the ground up. This includes assessing the needs in this area, developing strategic and tactical planning with respect to fire safety plans, implementing equipment inspection programs, developing and implementing fire safety education and evaluating fire prevention activities within the City of Vancouver.
This position leads a team of dedicated professionals that provides imperative fire safety advice and expertise to City managers and works with stakeholders in partnership to ensure compliance with applicable legislation, codes, standards and best practices.
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
This position reports to the Manager of Corporate Protective Services and works closely with Facility Operations, Emergency Management, Risk Management and Occupational Health and Safety. This position will lead three direct reports all of which are Fire Safety Advisors. The Manager, Facilities Fire Safety and Operational Response provides leadership, oversight and direction to all City staff that have building management responsibilities and represents the City on all regulatory compliance issues.
- Champion a culture and leads people towards a shared vision of fire safety.
- Ensures alignment of fire safety and emergency response plans to departmental and organizational vision, strategic directions, goals and objectives.
- Designs strategies to address risks by preparing plans and procedures, and outlining implementation and evaluation strategies.
- Reviews and approves coordinated fire plans and responses for each business unit in accordance with regulatory requirements.
Leadership and Management:
- Designs and launches a Fire Safety Program for the City of Vancouver that includes all the strategic and tactical elements, systems, policy and procedures of a robust and sustainable program.
- Liaises with external emergency services such as Police and Fire Departments in response to incidences and issues impacting COV staff, clients and assets.
- Investigates fire reports and accidents; provides advice and consultation to managers and HR on issues related to investigations involving staff.
- Acts as a building owner representative for all Fire Safety related issues.
- Serves as the City’s representative for all Fire Safety Violations and Notices.
- Ensures the development, implementation and delivery of engaging training and awareness programs to stakeholders.
- Chairs and/or provides representation on site specific committees.
- Provides after hours on-call function for Corporate Protective Services as assigned.
Policies & Practices:
- Liaises with internal stakeholders by providing technical input and expertise on fire safety and emergency aspects of facility and design
- Participates as a member of project teams by providing operational input related to fire safety and emergency response programs.
- Develops and implements fire safety policies and procedures and oversees the design and delivery of fire readiness education materials.
- Oversees a program of fire drills as per British Columbia Fire Code regulations.
- Working with Risk Management, ensures that any recommendations from risk assessment reviews, applicable to area of responsibility, are carried out.
- Prepare, approve and officially issue permits for ‘hot works’ activities in accordance with the Fire Safety provisions and ensures that the appropriate approval for the work is obtained.
- Develops and monitors capital budget for Fire Safety projects and training and exercise program.
- Ensures fire safety hazards are documented and responded to as a component of the regular worksite inspection process.
- Ensures building life safety systems are operational and in good working order.
- Ensures annual testing of fire alarm and building suppression systems, portable fire extinguishers, and emergency equipment.
- Provides business and technical guidance to senior staff relative to emergency response and operational readiness and ensures appropriate communication with key stakeholders.
- Maintains records of all required fire safety activities as per regulatory requirements.
Minimum Position Requirements
Education & Experience:
- Post-secondary education in a related field (minimum 2-year diploma) or equivalent education and experience
- Industry recognized professional certification in risk management, emergency management and/or fire prevention is preferred
- Extensive fire safety experience (minimum six to eight years) preferably in a corporate environment
- Membership in a professional association such as the American Society of Industrialized Security (ASIS), the Association of Threat Assessment Professionals (ATAP), or a similar recognized industry organization.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to articulate a vision and drive the development of a multifaceted new program
- Ability to develop and foster relationships and collaborate with client groups and colleagues
- A broad based knowledge of principles and techniques related to fire safety planning
- Working knowledge of related legislation and statutes including
- Ability to converse with, writes reports for, and create/deliver presentations in ways that support problem solving and planning
- Ability to handle confidential information, exercise tact and discretion Ability to prepare and deliver training material
- Ability to supervise and coordinate subordinate staff and/or contracted work and work effectively within a team environment
- Skilled in conflict resolution and the ability to identify potential issues
- Good computer skills and working knowledge of computer information access and protection
- Valid BC Driver’s License
- Ability to pass and maintain a criminal record check
Business Unit/Department: Real Estate & Facilities Mgmt (1100)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: September 2018
Application Close: August 24, 2018
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.