Executive Assistant - Office of the Deputy Chief Constable
Office of the Deputy Chief Constable
Victoria Police Department
Date of Issue: July 27/2018
Closing Date: August 17/2018
Competition Name: EA - DCC
Duration: Regular full-time Exempt position
Compensation: $70,090 - $77,267 annual salary range, plus a competitive benefits package
All submissions must be received by 4:30 p.m. on the above closing date and must be complete, including all qualifications and experience relevant to this position. Please quote the competition name on your submission.
To apply please forward your submission electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Executive Assistant to the Office of the Deputy Chief Constable is responsible for providing secretarial and administrative support to the Deputy Chief Constables in an efficient and well organized environment.
- Must be able to establish good liaisons with VicPD staff, elected officials, law enforcement agencies, outside stakeholders, and the general public to ensure satisfactory lines of communication and positive working relationships.
- Must be able to handle sensitive and confidential matters.
- Must exercise a high degree of tact, diplomacy and discretion at all times.
- Compose and respond to inquiries and requests of a routine nature on behalf of the Deputy Chiefs.
- Strategically manage calendars for booking meetings, appointments, training, travel, and annual leave.
- Maintain strict confidentiality of sensitive matters and exercise extreme judgement and discretion when releasing information pertaining to the department.
- Maintain close follow-up to ensure prompt action of replies to incoming correspondence and all other forms of inquiries, some of a non-routine nature.
- Ensure that all urgent matters are brought to the attention of the Deputy Chiefs and that they are apprised of all issues carried out on their behalf.
- Draft letters and memos for the Deputy Chief’s signatures.
- Create and maintain a comprehensive and well organized electronic and hard copy filing system.
- Screen incoming phone calls, email, mail, and faxes and forward the incoming information to the appropriate people.
- Adapt to frequent changes in priorities.
- Keep informed of matters being dealt with by the Deputy Chiefs.
- Ability to quickly research and acquire information on the Internet and through other sources and provide concise reports of findings.
- Prepare agenda packages, minutes and flag action items for distribution on a regular basis.
- Perform a variety of clerical functions including, preparing letters, photocopying, collating, faxing, scanning and filing.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Where required, perform critical duties of the Executive Assistant to the Chief Constable and Police Board.
- Thorough knowledge of current office procedures, equipment and business English.
- Thorough understanding of the goals and objectives of the department in order to provide efficient administrative support.
- Familiar with the BC Police Act.
- Handle sensitive and confidential matters, exercising a high degree of tact, diplomacy and discretion, ensuring the security of the information and maintaining strict confidentiality.
- Formulate letters, templates, spreadsheets and related correspondence.
- Deal effectively, tactfully, and diplomatically with a diverse variety of people (internal and external) in a timely manner.
- Ability to deal with a high volume of work and meet tight deadlines by prioritizing work effectively and efficiently.
- Balance conflicting priorities in order to manage workflow.
- Ability to anticipate needs.
- Ability to deal with ambiguity, identify problems, and take appropriate action.
- Demonstrate an awareness and understanding of Police, City and Township Council, Police Board, and Government practices and cultures.
- Ability to work with a great deal of independence without constant supervision or guidance.
- Exhibit sound judgement and the ability to make reasonable decisions in the absence of direction.
- Display initiative.
- Swiftly refer problems/issues to the appropriate people when necessary.
- Proofread reports and documents as requested.
- Maintain a clean, organized and professional looking workspace.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the Senior Management Team as well as other internal/external stakeholders and the general public so that an effective line of communication exists between all.
- Expected to work well under pressure and have the ability to multitask.
- Professional and courteous attitude and demeanour at all times.
- This position requires extensive effort in relation to making arrangements, fielding calls and generating a wide variety of administrative documentation.
- Positive attitude that communicates job-related issues with a constructive, problem solving approach.
- Willing to take on new challenges and tasks.
- Type 60 wpm and transcribe minutes.
- Adept at using Microsoft Office and other business software and adapting to new technology.
- Use standard office equipment.
- Possess excellent time management and keyboarding skills in order to meet the demands of the position.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent influence and persuasion skills.
Education, Experience and Qualifications:
- 2 years post-secondary education in a relatable field, plus a minimum of 5 years of senior level Executive Assistant experience; or a combination of education and experience.
- Research and referencing experience is an asset.
- Required to obtain and maintain security and criminal record clearance.
- Required to sign an attestation of confidentiality.