Our client, the City of Morden is seeking a City Manager to lead the overall administrative management of the City of Morden.
Morden is located in south-central Manitoba, nestled between Lake Minnewasta and the rolling Pembina Valley hills. Morden offers an enviable quality of life, is steeped in history and culture, and is rural living at its best with all the amenities of a larger centre.
As the City Manager, you possess exceptional leadership skills. You thrive on the active pursuit of new opportunities while maintaining a collaborative working relationship with businesses and communities in the region. Your strong business and political acumen combined with an elevated level of proficiency in assimilating relevant information will aid in supporting the Municipality’s decision making process. As the City Manager, you will work closely with the Mayor, Councillors and the senior management team to develop a compelling vision and strategy and engage the organization to deliver the highest caliber of services to the community.
The successful incumbent will be a strong and effective leader with well-developed management skills and a collaborative, open, honest and direct interpersonal style.
- Lead the development of a long-range plan for the operation and continued success of the City.
- Plan, direct and coordinate the day-to-day activities required to implement the plan and achieve the goals and objectives approved by Council.
- Provide Council with ongoing updates communicating progress toward annual and long-term goals, as well as emerging issues or opportunities.
- Recommend new initiatives, program policies and plans for Council discussion and approval.
- Develop/implement a process for the preparation of annual capital and operating budgets.
- Monitor, control and authorize spending. Present any expenditure in excess of budget or any new budget items, along with supporting documentation, for Council approval.
- Chair regularly scheduled meetings with all department heads to review operations; communicate expectations; advise on policy or procedure changes and share information to the team.
- Direct the preparation, and approve, of all Council and Committee meeting agendas, ensuring issues requiring Council attention are brought forward and that all background information or documentation is available to facilitate informed decision-making.
- Prepare and present a monthly report for Council regarding City operations. Recommend appropriate action or request ratification for action taken to deal with matters requiring Council approval.
- Advise Council on strategy and policy with respect to land use planning and economic development. Recommend support and appropriate funding for proposed economic development initiatives.
- Recruit, develop and evaluate all management staff. Approve the appointment or transfer of employees, as well as compensation administration, within established personnel policy and budget guidelines. Ensure the City has a comprehensive HR management plan to attract, develop and retain qualified staff.
- Upon direction by Council, instruct the Solicitor to commence, defend or otherwise conduct any legal proceeding. Coordinate activities in support of such proceedings and advise Council on progress and costs.
Establish and maintain an open and public system that complies with legislative requirements, by-laws and Council policies for contracting goods and services. Review and recommend acceptance or rejection of properly submitted tenders, quotations and proposals.
Education & Experience
- Post-secondary education in Public Administration, Business Administration or a related discipline
- 15+ years of progressively responsible roles in a public and/or private organization
- 5+ years senior management experience in a municipal and/or business environment
- Proven track record running multi-disciplinary private or public sector organization
- Exceptional understanding of strategic planning, finance, HR management and operations in a multi-faceted organization
- Experience and training in community/economic/ business development
- Demonstrated ability as a politically astute, visionary leader and solid decision maker with a high level of ethics, values and integrity
- Practical knowledge and experience using computer systems for business applications
- Exceptional people management and communication skills
Demonstrated knowledge of the Municipal Act and related statutes
If you would like more information about this position or the City of Morden, please visit http://bit.do/M-CM or contact Paul Croteau, Managing Partner at (204) 934-8821.
If you believe you can make a strong contribution to this organization as the City Manager, please submit your resume in confidence to Paul@legacybowes.com quoting #183140.
Suite 1400 – 275 Portage Ave ● Winnipeg, MB R3B 2B3 ● 204.943.0553 ● FAX: 204.957.5384