Vancouver Aboriginal Child and Family Services Society
Vancouver Aboriginal Child and Family Services Society (VACFSS)
Location: Vancouver, BC
- Use your Accounting experience to help make a difference to Vancouver’s Aboriginal community
- Receive an attractive salary plus a comprehensive benefits package
- Challenging and rewarding role with membership in the Public Service Pension Plan
About the Organization
Vancouver Aboriginal Child and Family Services Society (VACFSS) is a non-profit society providing service to urban Aboriginal children and families living in the Greater Vancouver area.
At VACFSS, our vision is a balanced and harmonious Aboriginal community and our mission is to provide holistic service delivery that culturally and spiritually strengthens Aboriginal families.
VACFSS works to strengthen the community through its collaborative nature, often partnering with other service providers and members of the community. The Society aims to honour the traditions of Aboriginal people in BC, and continues to focus on improving the outcomes for the children and families it serves.
To learn more about VACFSS, please visit www.vacfss.com
About the Opportunity
VACFSS has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Accountant to join our team in Vancouver, BC on a Full-time 1 Year Term position with the possibility of extension.
Reporting to the Manager of Finance and Information Technology, you will be responsible for performing daily accounting tasks requiring previous experience within a multi-program organization.
Specifically, you will be overseeing all daily accounting duties including preparation of Financial Statement, account reconciliation and analysis, budgets, cash flow and projections, multi-project allocation, proportion of year end schedules and adjustments, and government remittances.
Duties will include verifying the accuracy of figures, balancing and reconciling accounts, maintenance of records, and responsibility over all accounting activity. Back-up for payroll may be required periodically.
Key duties and responsibilities include:
- Preparing monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements
- Assisting with budgets, year-end audits, and special projects
- Recording and maintaining society’s capital assets and leases
- Maintenance of computerized accounting system with IT Technician
- Conducting financial analysis
- Preparing cash flow projections
- Assisting with financial report writing
- Performing monthly account reconciliations
- Communicating professionally with inter-departmental and external sources for required information and confirmation
- GST and other government remittances
- Proficiency with accounts receivable, payables, bank reconciliation, and payroll related functions
- Maintaining integrity of various reports by regularly updating files, reports and spreadsheets
- Backing up for the other accounting staff when required, including payroll
- Strong understanding of CPA Technical and Enabling Competencies, Not for Profit reporting, and Conceptual Framework of Financial Reporting
- Ensuring compliance with VACFSS policies and procedures
For this role, you will have a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and a professional accounting designation (CPA) combined with at least 7 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
In addition, the ideal candidate will also demonstrate:
- Knowledge of development of operating and capital budgets
- Experience with financial audit requirements
- High level of Computer skills utilizing accounting and financial software
- Advanced Excel skills
- Intermediate level skill in Word and Windows.
- Experience with Great Plains and Management Reporter (Asset)
- Ability to have flexible working hours during time-sensitive periods essential.
- Ability to deal with high volume of work with speed and accuracy and attention to details.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work with people in an efficient and professional manner.
- Ability to work independently as well as a team environment.
- Interpersonal skills – cooperative, courteous, flexible, good-natured, and concerned with being helpful and making a good impression.
- Effective work skills – conscientious, maintaining confidentiality, persistent, resourceful, productive and active.
This role is well suited to a highly organized team player who possesses very strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
Our ideal candidate will have good time management skills for maximizing time efficiently combined with excellent written and oral communication skills for communicating with all levels of an Agency and external partners.
About the Benefits
In exchange for your contributions to VACFSS, you will receive a competitive salary based on experience and a comprehensive benefits package, including:
- Extended health and dental benefits
- Group life benefits
- 100% employer-paid premiums
- Three (3) weeks' annual vacation
- Eligibility for the VACFSS Accumulated Time Off Program (after probation period)
- Membership to the Public Service Pension Plan
That’s not all. We also offer in-house workshops on time management, personal finance, and conflict resolution. VACFSS also offers a variety of wellness opportunities to staff to assist you in maintaining a healthy work-life balance.
If you're looking for a new career challenge where you will be welcomed into a supportive and friendly team culture, Apply Now!