Information Technology Director
School District No. 62 (Sooke)
School District No. 62 (Sooke)
Information Technology Director
LOCATION: Sooke School Board Office (Jacklin Rd., Langford)
POSITION CLASSIFICATION: Exempt
SUPERVISOR: The Executive Team
PURPOSE OF POSITION / POSITION SUMMARY
The Information Technology Director leads all technology-related activities and actively participates in the development and implementation of the School District’s strategic plan. The successful incumbent is a high-performing, collaborative IT trailblazer with demonstrated success that leads the District forward in its technology strategies and initiatives. The successful incumbent will determine the provision of staff and the delegation of responsibility within the Information Technology department and act as an information resource person to all administrators, trustees and stakeholders.
The Information Technology Director will play a vital role in managing partnerships with educators and administrative staff to provide Sooke School District students with the best learning opportunities as they relate to technology.
NATURE OF WORK (IT DIRECTOR)
- Ensures an appropriate balance is struck between technical requirements and educational imperatives, developing effective relationships and partnerships throughout the School District.
- Maintains a strategic focus while fulfilling the role of a hands-on technical professional who manages and oversees the day-to-day operation of the information systems team.
- Collaborates with the Educational Technology Committee to ensure there is appropriate integration of technology with all curricular and program directions.
SPECIFIC ACCOUNTABILITIES / DELIVERABLES
The Information Technology Director shall:
- Lead the development of the District’s Strategic Technology Plan and its implementation
- Develop and execute the IT department’s goals and objectives to support the mission, vision, core values, and commitments of the District
- Responsible for the preparation and implementation of the annual information technology budget and subsequent expenditures
- Provide oversight of the operation and maintenance of the technology infrastructure and applications
- Coordinate all major technology projects for the District schools and departments
- Build collegial relationships with and provide leadership and training to business and education units in using technological resources and services
- Research, recommend, and implement effective solutions to meet user requirements
- Conduct research and analysis for the evaluation, selection, administration and support of IT systems
- Work with staff to assist in the development and implementation technical solutions
- Determine the present and future needs of the District for information technology, develop short and long term plans to meet such needs, act as a resource person to schools and senior management staff to evaluate systems and recommend appropriate changes
- Supervise all information technology staff, including making recommendations for hiring, promotions, performance evaluations and professional development
- Performs related duties as assigned by Executive staff
Required Education / Experience:
- A bachelor’s degree in information systems, computer science, and/or business administration or an equivalent combination of specialized education and experience (Master’s degree preferred)
- Between 7 and 10 years’ experience in IT Service Delivery, IT Project Management, or Business Analysis with a minimum of 5 years in a leadership role (manager or director-level)
- Solid and current understanding of new technologies and software appropriate to education sector
- Extensive knowledge and experience with planning information systems, technology architectures, project management, service management and systems design
- Certification in ITIL is an asset, required working knowledge in ITIL principles and procedures is required.
- Strong knowledge of IT Customer Service Management practices and principles
- Certification in at least two of the following areas: network administration, data base administration, system engineering, BPR or a similar protocol or Microsoft certified systems engineer
- Experience with:
- Both Mac and PC operating systems
- Data centre, network, mobile technologies and desktop hardware/software
- Strong knowledge of current information security protocols to protect District systems and to ensure compliance with privacy legislation including Ministry FOIPOP requirements
- Experience working collaboratively with cross-functional teams such as Human Resources, Finance, Accounting, and Purchasing, and Facilities
- Experience overseeing and managing the work of support staff in a technology environment
- Experience developing, overseeing and/or conducting technology-related training for a variety of stakeholders, preferably in the education and/or public sector
Preferred Education / Experience:
- Experience working with a union workforce
- Experience managing a diverse technology team in the education and/or public sector environments
- Demonstrated ability to organize and plan workload for self and team; meet deadlines; exercise good judgment and make sound decisions
- Sound analytical and strategic problem-solving skills
- Must be a detail-oriented leader; with coaching ability
- Excellent interpersonal skills, able to build effective collaborative relationships across the organization
- Solid communications skills, both oral and written
- Proven project management skills; with demonstrated ability to effectively manage multiple priorities simultaneously
- Ability to maintain confidentiality as appropriate
- Ability to use collaborative skills to lead diverse groups within the school community to realize District goals utilizing collaborative decision-making processes
- Knowledge of contract negotiation procedures and issues for the procurement of hardware, software, and professional services
- Knowledge of pertinent Provincial, Federal and local laws, codes and regulations relating to technology systems
- Ability to develop policies and regulations pertaining to, and ensure adherence to, FOIPPA/FIPPA requirements and any other legislated practices regarding security
- A big-picture, strategic thinker; able to foresee and plan for future organizational evolving needs and associated technological innovation
COMPETENCIES CORE COMPETENCIES
- Teamwork and co-operation is the ability to work co-operatively with diverse teams, work groups and across the organization that includes the desire and ability to understand and respond effectively to other people from diverse backgrounds with diverse views.
- Listening, Understanding and Responding is the desire and ability to understand and respond effectively to other people from diverse backgrounds. It includes the ability to understand accurately and respond effectively to both spoken and unspoken or partly expressed thoughts, feelings and concerns of others.
- Organizational Awareness is the acumen to appreciate and the ability to use the power relationships in either one's own, or other, organization(s). This includes the ability to identify the real decision-makers and the individuals who can influence them; and to predict how new events or situations will affect individuals and groups within the organization.
- Planning, Organizing and Coordinating involves proactively planning, establishing priorities and allocating resources. It is expressed by developing and implementing increasingly complex plans. It also involves monitoring and adjusting work to accomplish goals and deliver to the organization's mandate.
- Service Orientation implies a desire to identify and serve customers/clients, who may include the public, coworkers, other branches/divisions, other ministries/agencies, other government organizations, and nongovernment organizations. It means focusing one’s efforts on discovering and meeting the needs of the customer/client.
- Problem Solving/Sound Judgment is the ability to analyze problems systematically, organize information, and identify key factors and options leading to successful outcomes.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
- Information System Knowledge
- Technical Savvy
- Analytical Thinking
Apply online at www.makeafuture.ca/sooke.