Trades II - Painter
Trades II - PainterRequisition ID: 11497
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world by 2020 and we are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Trades II Painter completes painting & decorating at the journeyman level involving the application of fundamental trade practices to a variety of painting tasks of some complexity. Under limited supervision, this position will be responsible for directing the work of subordinates performing routine painting & preparation tasks. A Trades II Painter works under the general supervision of a Superintendent but is allowed considerable scope on the technical aspects of the work. Oral assignments, often accompanied by job orders, including sketches or blueprints, are issued by a supervisor. Conformance to established trade practices, standards, safe and efficient equipment operation is required.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
This position is responsible for following current trade practices, preparing a variety of substrates in preparation for applying finish materials. Responsibilities also include using brushes, rollers or spray equipment to apply coatings of various classes/types, working alongside co-workers and various other departments, The successful candidate will perform painting, striping, marbling, graining and finishing, operate a service truck safely and efficiently to transport materials and equipment. This position performs a variety of painting and graphic tasks in Park Board buildings and structures. Accurately and efficiently prepare and maintain records related to the work (some of which may be on computer or on mobile devices).
Education and Experience:
- Completion of the tenth school grade preferably supplemented by technical courses related to the work.
- Completion of an apprenticeship in painting & decorating.
- Considerable experience as a trades qualified Painter & Decorator.
- Preference given to candidates with a minimum of 5 years’ experience in the painting & decorating industry.
- Experience with the safe operation of various types of PPE, aerial lift equipment, fall protection equipment, spray equipment, trade related hand tools, cleaning and care of equipment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of the standard practices, methods, materials, tools and equipment used in a variety of painting & decorating tasks.
- Ability to show good judgement in response to problematic or dynamic situations.
- Considerable knowledge of the hazards and proper safety precautions of the trade.
- Ability to work alongside co-workers and various other departments in a respective and cohesive manner is required.
- Ability to establish & maintain effective working relationships and to communicate clearly and effectively, in writing and verbally, with the public & other staff members
- Ability to assign and supervise the work of subordinates engaged in tasks related to the shop or painting and decorating tasks.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions and work from sketches and drawings.
- Ability to maintain records related to the work, keep an inventory of consumable materials, supplies and capital equipment, as required.
- Skill in performing a variety of painting & decorating tasks on a variety of surfaces.
- Skill in finishing or re-finishing furniture as required.
- B.C. Painting & Decorating Certificate of Qualification (Red Seal) or equivalent qualification.
- Current BC Class 5 driver’s License
- Satisfactory BC driving record from ICBC
Business Unit/Department: Board of Parks & Recreation (1400)
Affiliation: CUPE 1004 Parks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: August 2018
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-375: $38.75 per hour
Application Close: July 22, 2018
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.