Director, Collections & Technology
Director, Collections & TechnologyRequisition ID: 11678
The Vancouver Public Library (VPL) is the third largest public library system in Canada, with 800 staff members offering services at 22 branches across the city. VPL values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly service. Consider joining our committed team of staff and beingpart of an innovative, inclusive, and rewarding workplace.
The Vancouver Public Library (VPL) is the third largest public library system in Canada, with 800 staff members offering services at 21 branches across the city. VPL values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve. Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive, and rewarding workplace.
Located in the beautiful city of Vancouver, the award-winning Vancouver Public Library has been dedicated to meeting the lifelong learning, reading and information needs of Vancouver residents for more than 100 years. Our vision is an informed, engaged and connected city. Our mission is a free place for everyone to discover, create and share ideas and information.
Our public library is the last freely available indoor public space in Vancouver – open to everyone. We help people of all ages to pursue their passions and to fulfil their creative potential. Across 21 locations and online, VPL is the most visited major urban library per capita in Canada.
We are located in a city often cited as one of the best places in the world to live. Vancouver, with a population of 630,000, includes dynamic and diverse communities in a metropolitan region of over 2 million.
About the opportunity
The Library is seeking a strategic, energetic and creative leader to join its leadership team. As a member of the Library’s senior management, the Director is responsible for leading the strategic direction, performance outcomes, organizational development priorities, and policy and resource allocation for the Collections & Technology portfolio, ensuring excellence in service.
Reporting to the Chief Librarian, the Director, Collections & Technology is responsible for oversight of services and strategy in the following areas:
- Library Systems/IT
- Digital Services
- Collections & Technical Services
The Director, Collections & Technology is a leader in imagining the potential of technology for public library service and ensuring the IT infrastructure is in place to achieve VPL’s goals. The Director promotes the value of access to content across all formats and ensures that VPL delivers diverse, relevant material that enables our patrons to explore new ideas and discover information, guiding a collections budget of $4.7M annually.
The Director, Collections & Technology represents the Vancouver Public Library when liaising with the community, media, and external partners such as publishers and content vendors. The Director is responsible for an operating budget of approximately $11M and directly oversees three exempt managers responsible for Systems, Digital Services and Collections/Technical Services, and indirectly the work of over 80 full time equivalent (FTE) bargaining unit employees. The Director acts as an advisor to the Chief Librarian, and to the Library Board via the Chief Librarian, ensuring the advice protects the organization from risk that may arise from issues within the portfolio’s areas of responsibilities, including PCI (IT) standards and copyright.
- A Masters of Library and Information Sciences from an ALA-accredited school (additionally a Master of Business or Public Administration preferred)
- Progressive management experience in a large library system or senior experience in a smaller system, with an emphasis on technology and the digital environment.
- A leader who believes in the values of public libraries; extensive knowledge of the principles and practices of public librarianship and current developments and trends in the provision of library and technology services
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills and a collaborative leadership style
- An innovator with experience identifying and capitalizing on opportunities for new services, programs, partnerships, and connections
- A strategic thinker with a demonstrated ability to connect and translate strategy to library services and operations
- Human resources, labour relations and change management experience
- Political acumen and proven ability to work with different levels of government and community organizations
- A seasoned professional who demonstrates the following leadership competencies:
- Integrity – holds self and others accountable and is trustworthy
- Intelligence – recognizes the current and emerging needs of customers and the public, understands the business and works strategically
- Inclusivity – engages stakeholders, customers and employees, works across and outside silos and builds effective teams
- Initiative – achieves results and drives continuous improvement
- Inspiration – aligns people to a shared vision and fosters a positive and fair work environment
Vancouver Public Library offers a competitive and comprehensive salary and benefits package. Participation in evening meetings and rotating weekends on call are required in this position.
Closing date: Friday August 3, 2018 at midnight
While the Library thanks you in advance, only those candidates being considered will be contacted.
As the Vancouver Public Library is responsible for the well-being of its patrons, a Police Record Check clearance is a condition of employment. Please refer to our policy for further information. Personal information collected is used in accordance with the BC Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. VPL values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve. Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.