Building Official (Creston)
Permanent Full-Time, Benefited
REGIONAL DISTRICT OF CENTRAL KOOTENAY - Creston, BC
With an outstanding temperate climate and situated amidst a unique combination of agricultural lands, mountains, rivers, lakes and wildlife, Creston is a vibrant and active community located in the beautiful Creston Valley in the heart of the Kootenay Rockies! Creston offers all the benefits of small town living with access to great schools, health care services, a thriving local food movement and is located just a few hours away from major city centers. Locals enjoy a wide range of recreational opportunities including three season golf, hiking, biking, fishing and much more! All this in addition to multiple groups of special interests, numerous activities, theatre, music, arts and wineries.
The RDCK is seeking applications for a permanent, full-time Building Official to work in Nelson, BC. As part of our regional team of 12, each Building Official provides building and plumbing inspection services in a designated area which includes electoral areas (rural) and local villages (municipalities). In line with their level of certification, Building Officials are responsible for end-to-end permitting and inspection services including but not limited to:
- Review of building plans and applications to ensure compliance with relevant codes, regulations and bylaws
- Ensure construction conforms with approved plans through inspections
- Address construction issues and take steps to rectify illegal construction through education, Stop Work Orders, and/or tickets as appropriate.
Reporting to the Building Manager, the successful candidates will work in an experienced team to provide this important service to local residents. The Kootenays are growing, come be a part of it!
Full time employees enjoy utilizing our EDO program, earning an extra day off every three weeks. The RDCK offers a comprehensive benefits package and a competitive salary commensurate to qualification and experience.
Please be advised that this is not a unionized position.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications and Experience include:
The RDCK is seeking an experienced, certified Building Official. To be considered for this position, you must possess:
- This posting, along with a detailed job description, can b Minimum Level 1 Certification with the Building Officials Association of British Columbia, Level 2 or 3 preferred;
- Level 1 Certification with the Plumbing Inspectors Association of British, or recognized equivalent;
- Trade qualification in carpentry, plumbing and/or heating ventilation or Diploma of Building Science (or related)
- Member in good standing with the BOABC;
- Ventilation Certificate or willingness to attain;
- Valid BC Drivers License and a satisfactory Drivers Abstract;
- Satisfactory Criminal Record.
To view the job complete description, visit our website at www.rdck.ca under Administration, Jobs & Employment Opportunities. Applications in the form of a resume and cover letter detailing qualifications must be submitted by email or post no later than by 8am on Tuesday, August 7, 2018. Candidates will be screened and assessed an on ongoing basis and this competition may close early if a suitable candidate is found.
Apply now to avoid missing out on this great opportunity!
Human Resources, Regional District of Central Kootenay
Box 590, 202 Lakeside Drive, Nelson, BC V1L 5R4
Phone: (250) 352-8150
Thank you for your interest in working with the Regional District of Central Kootenay.
All submissions will be acknowledged although only those individuals shortlisted to participate in the interview/testing process will be contacted again.
This posting may be used to fill other similar positions with the RDCK Development Services Department over the next six months.