City of Port Alberni
The City of Port Alberni is a community of 17,500 people. Located centrally on Vancouver Island, Port Alberni is a well-serviced municipality that offers residents affordable west coast living, as well as proximity to oceanfront, lakes, rivers and mountains.
The City is currently looking for a temporary Accountant / Assistant Collector to join a progressive and dynamic organization as part of the Finance team. This position reports directly to the Director of Finance.
This position involves complex accounting work with primary responsibility for preparing, maintaining and controlling general ledger accounts. In addition, the Accountant prepares detailed accounting and financial reports, statements, records and returns; checks, reconciles and balances records, summaries and accounts for accuracy, completeness and/or costing purposes, and performs related accounting-clerical tasks in the Finance department.
This position involves the responsibility for performing Collector and assessment duties with respect to local improvements, and maintenance of the integrated property system, including the management of the annual tax sales. The work involves working with the public and other agents in processing enquiries, and providing information on all aspects of operation of collection.
Qualifications & Experience
- A minimum of two years’ experience in local government accounting in the field of taxation and/or property.
- Completion of advanced level accounting courses.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Considerable knowledge of double-entry bookkeeping and costing principles and practices, and of municipal accounting systems and operations.
- A thorough understanding of the City’s integrated property tax base and the City’s accounting records.
- The ability to perform routine tasks of the Deputy Director of Finance during their absence.
This position is part of the CUPE Local 118 bargaining unit. The successful candidate will be required to complete a police information check.
For additional information, including a full job description, please go to http://www.portalberni.ca/employment-opportunities.
Qualified individuals may apply by forwarding a resume and cover letter by 4:30 pm on July 23, 2018:
|Attention:||Krista Tremblay, Manager of Human Resources|
|By mail:||City of Port Alberni, 4850 Argyle Street, Port Alberni, BC V9Y 1V8|