School District No. 34 (Abbotsford)
School District No. 34 (Abbotsford)
Journeyman Trades - HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
COMPETITION NO: S 18 MTE 022 REG
The Abbotsford School District is seeking applications for a full-time HVAC Mechanic/Electrician starting as soon as possible. The current rate of pay is $29.79 per hour plus $2.00 LMA (Labour Market Adjustment).
Under the general direction of the HVAC Foreman, the HVAC Mechanic is responsible for functions involving the installation, maintenance and repair of heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) services in District facilities.
This position performs a variety of technical/manual tasks under limited supervision and in accordance with clearly established policies, procedures, regulations and codes. Judgment is exercised in handling new assignments and determining new work methods.
- Installing, modifying, repairing, maintaining and inspecting heating, ventilation and air conditioning equipment in district facilities including fans, boilers, pumps, heat pumps, rooftop units, towers, furnaces
- Troubleshooting problems with HVAC systems including diagnosing and isolating the problem, researching solutions and repairing when tools and resources are available or referring to external contractors when necessary
- Participating in preventive maintenance inspection of HVAC systems, equipment and fixtures and preparing written reports of condition and providing recommendations for corrective action. Maintaining written work records as required
- Providing support, technical advice and training to other trades and district staff relating to use and maintenance of HVAC equipment
- Providing advice and assistance related to new HVAC installations, repairs or modifications/upgrades to existing HVAC systems
- Submitting orders/requisitions to Foreman for parts and supplies inventory and/or purchasing supplies on an as needed basis to complete work orders
- Responding to service calls as required
- Ensuring equipment and supplies used to perform duties are stored and maintained appropriately
- Maintaining a working knowledge of district operational/personnel policies related to the position
- Ensuring compliance with district and government health and safety procedures and regulations within the Facilities Management department to minimize potential for accidents, injuries and hazards
- Undertaking related duties, as assigned consistent with this position
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
The successful applicant will have a Grade 12 diploma or equivalent, supplemented by a current Interprovincial Trades Qualification in Refrigeration Mechanics, and Class B Gasfitter Ticket (a current Interprovincial Trades Qualification in Electrical may also be considered), as well as the following:
- 3 years’ HVAC work experience;
- 1 year work experience using DDC systems;
- A valid Class 5 British Columbia driver’s license;
- Working knowledge of the technical drawings, regulations and codes, standard practices, methods, materials and tools and equipment used in the trade;
- Working knowledge of proper safety practices and the demonstrated ability to work in a manner that recognizes personal safety and the safety of others;
- Proven ability to express ideas effectively both orally and in writing with the ability to explain instructions or information clearly to others;
- Proven ability to maintain positive interpersonal and communication skills with the demonstrated ability to contribute to an environment which promotes teamwork;
- Proven ability to work in an efficient manner, organize personal workload, work under pressure and see assignments through to completion;
- Proven ability to perform physical activities such as lifting, pushing, pulling and moving materials, equipment and supplies;
- Proven ability to learn and incorporate new technology relevant to the trade;
- Proven ability to make sound decisions in accordance with established policies and procedures;
- Working knowledge of computer operation including knowledge of MS Office, email, internet, district automated dispatch, and work order systems.
Interested applicants should submit a detailed resumé outlining qualifications and experience no later than 4:30 pm on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 to: firstname.lastname@example.org.