Chief Administrative Officer
Chief Administrative Officer
Town of Valleyview
The Town of Valleyview is located within the Municipal District of Greenview No. 16 at the junction of Highway 43 and Highway 49, between the Little Smoky River and Sturgeon Lake. Its position, in the junction of the two highways into the Peace Region, has led to it’s motto as the Portal To The Peace.
The Town of Valleyview is located 350 kms north of Edmonton and 115 kms east of the City of Grande Prairie. The Town of Valleyview is strategically located at important crossroads that lead to Canada’s north. Excellent paved Highways lead the traveller to northern adventure via Highway 49 leading to Peace River and the Mackenzie Highway that will take you to the Northwest Territories, and Highway 43 leading to Dawson Creek, the Alaska Highway and adventure in northeastern British Columbia, the Yukon and Alaska. Current population of Valleyview is recorded at 1,972.
In terms of adjacent water bodies and provincial parks, Youngs Point Provincial Park and Williamson Provincial Park located on Sturgeon Lake is approximately 20 mins from the town, and Waskahigan River Provincial Recreation Area is approximately 20 mins east toward the town of Fox Creek, AB. The Little Smoky River lies east of Valleyview running north toward the Smoky River.
Predominant industries influencing the Town of Valleyview include agriculture, oil and gas, utilities, energy, and forestry. Valleyview acts as the major service center to industry and to the estimated 5000 residents within surrounding community.
The Town of Valleyview provides medical, recreation, education and retail services to all area residents. The Town also offers services to the travelling public with many travel stops, restaurants, motel / hotel accommodations, camping facilities and all major emergency services that might be required including a hospital with 24/7 emergency department.
Valleyview maintains a Fire Department and RCMP detachment and many other community staples such as schools, library, community hall, two golf courses (Greenview Golf Resort and Valleyview Riverside Golf Course), a new Recreation Multiplex (with aquatic centre), and other family and community social services.
Key current and future strategic initiatives for Council and Administration include:
- Intermunicipal Collaborative Framework
- Intermunicipal Development Plan (just commenced process of a new one with the MD of Greenview)
- Infrastructure Assessment (currently in process)
- New Multiplex (ensuring costs are manageable)
- Joint Service Agreements (with MD of Greenview)
- Emergency Management
The Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) will report to Council.
The CAO is responsible for guiding the overall operations and delivery of the day-to-day affairs of the Town as outlined in the Municipal Government Act (MGA), Strategic Plan, Town Policies and Bylaws as set by Council.
Direct and Indirect reports to the CAO currently include the following areas:
- Finance & Administration
- Corporate Services
- Public Works & Infrastructure
- Utilities & Asset Management
- Parks Recreation & Facilities
- Provide positive leadership, direction, mentorship, and coaching to the administration team.
- Ensure operations and budgets align with strategic plans and annual goals.
- Ensure proper financial recording and reporting consistent with Public Sector Accounting Principles and budget management consistent with MGA requirements.
- Recommends progressive and responsive policies, procedures, systems, and investments.
- Embrace innovation concurrent with the continuous pursuit of cost and operational efficiencies.
- Works with Council to help set vision and direction.
- Monitor all matters associated with risk, legal, finance, policy, business development, infrastructure, projects, safety, environment, and community.
- Attend Council meetings and other related committee or stakeholder meetings as may be prudent orrequired.
- Participate and engage in community events and activities.
- Proficient in addressing and managing public relations and conflict resolution.
- Build and develop relationships with community members, industries, governments, organizations, institutions, and other potential stakeholders.
- Maintain current knowledge on relevant legislation e.g. Municipal Government Act, and granting avenues /opportunities.
- Possess a Degree and / or Diploma in Business or Public Administration, or equivalent.
- Progressive senior managerial experience in local government.
- Certified Local Government Manager (CLGM) Certification would be an asset.
- An equivalent combination of relevant management and leadership experience from another sector may be considered.
- Engineering or related discipline, education and or work experience preferred.
- Demonstrated senior level management experience with financial and budgeting processes, strategic planning, government and people relations, negotiations, communications, conflict resolution, and capital works and infrastructure.
- Experience with municipal software such as Serenic (Bellamy) and MuniSight would be an asset.
- Experience in Planning & Development (infrastructure) would be an asset.
- Proven Interpersonal and Communication skills.
- High integrity and respectful ofothers.
- Takes initiative while duly assessing risk factors
Closing Date: August 5, 2018
Expressions of Interest and Resumes may be sent in confidence to: firstname.lastname@example.org