Requisition ID: 11415
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world by 2020 and we are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
The Team Lead of By-law Permits & Inspections Administration reports to the Manager of By-law Compliance and Administration, and is responsible for the supervision of a moderately sized group of support staff. The Team Lead is responsible for planning, assigning and coordinating the work involved in issuing all occupancy permits and field review permits. In addition, the incumbent assigns and coordinates clerical support for Counter B, and Building and Trades inspections teams.
The incumbent reviews and processes inspection reports related to inspections of problem premises carried out by Property Use, Building and Trades Inspectors, conducts thorough research and analysis of all current and historical information relevant to the problem premises or businesses, and determines appropriate course of action to take; provides training and assistance to staff in interpreting by-laws and applying departmental policies and procedures; assists with the daily operation of the branch and handles any elevated customer complaints; and assists the Manager in recruitment, training, and on-going development of staff, and undertakes any special projects or related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Completion of Grade 12 preferably supplemented by post-secondary education in Business Administration or Criminal Justice and considerable related experience as a Clerk III.
- Experience preferably includes either specialized clerical experience and skills; or a combination of general clerical and supervisory experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Considerable related experience and functional knowledge of departmental procedures and policies related to the administration of by-laws required.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Good working knowledge of all by-laws administered by Property Use, Building and Trades Inspections, and of the permitting process in Development Services.
- Considerable knowledge of the functions of the department and of the rules and regulations which govern departmental activities.
- Detailed working knowledge of our permitting and records systems (POSSE, Prism, Tempest, VanDocs, Vanmap, Amanda); and a proficiency in MS Office applications.
- Excellent written and verbal communication with the ability to deal tactfully and effectively with staff and the public.
- Strong research, analytical and organizational skills.
- Ability to multi-task, organize and prioritize a complex and wide variety of administration and by-law related workload, with close attention to detail and often with numerous interruptions.
Business Unit/Department: Development Services, Building & Licencing (1250)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: July, 2018
Salary Information: Pay Grade 19 - $29.16 to $34.29 per hour
Application Close: June 22, 2018
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.