Recreation Services Assistant
British Columbia Institute of Technology
Recreation Services AssistantRecreation Services
The Recreation Services department is looking for a regular, full-time Recreation Services Assistant. This position performs a variety of duties that support the effective and efficient operations of the Recreation Services department. The Recreation Services Assistant (RSA) performs day-to-day functions including opening and closing the facility, operating the Recreation Service Centre customer service counter, selling memberships and services, handling cash transactions, deploying equipment, coordinating facilities bookings and rentals, providing exemplary customer service to students, staff and public, and providing administrative support for the department.
Hours of work are determined by building operation hours.
Hours for RSA Afternoon / Weekend
September – May
- Wednesday to Thursday, 10:00am – 6:00pm
- Friday, 9:00am – 5:00pm
- Saturday and Sunday, 8:45am – 4:45pm
- Wednesday to Friday, 9:00am – 5:00pm
- Saturday and Sunday, 8:45am – 4:45pm
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Provides coverage of the Recreation Service Centre customer service counter; answers in-person, phone, email and social media inquiries regarding Recreation Services programs, courses and facilities.
- Handles membership sales and payments; registers participants in intramural, drop-in and instructional programs; sells laundry, towel, locker services, and bike lockers. Handles financial transactions resulting from sales and refunds, including cash out procedures and purchase orders.
- Uses Active Networks system to create and maintain membership profiles, sell services, books facilities, produces reports, loads course information and monitors enrolment. Liaises directly with Active Networks’ help desk on system issues.
- Supports the Coordinators with administrative tasks including facility rental contracts, short and long-term equipment needs, special event planning and organization, researching best practices, equipment specifications, potential purchases and facility enhancements. Assists with set-up and take down of events and rentals including moving equipment and supplies.
- Prepares hiring, timesheets and invoices for student staff and contract instructors.
- Supports Recreation Services advertising and marketing initiatives including preparation and distribution of a variety of promotional and informational materials in a variety of formats; reviews and updates the department’s website as directed by the Operations Coordinator.
- Assists with laundry service: Receives, washes, folds and replenishes laundry.
- Follows established emergency procedures including coordinating initial emergency response and administering first aid as needed.
RSA Afternoon / Weekend duties also include:
- Lead RSA on facility rentals.
- Lead RSA on purchasing department supplies.
- Lead RSA on department statistics.
- Lead RSA on locker room lockers.
- Administrative support for Programs and Intramurals Coordinator.
BENEFITS OF WORKING AT BCIT:
- Being a part of BC's Employers, and a member of the
- A generous Total Compensation which includes extended health and dental benefits and a plan.
- Access to and opportunities for career development.
- Increase your knowledge with waivers for BCIT courses.
- Enjoy subsidized parking and discounted access to our fitness facilities (including classes like Yoga and Zumba).
- Additional and Employee Assistance programs.
- Completion of Grade 12 plus completion of one year of post-secondary training in recreation, physical education, sport management, business or related field.
- Two years general experience plus two years practical, current experience in recreation related jobs that includes experience working on a point of sale cash register (POS) and reconciling daily cash sales.
- Occupational First Aid (OFA 1) or equivalent.
- Demonstrated Microsoft Office experience, with Excel and Word at the intermediate level.
- Experience in maintaining webpages at an intermediate level.
- Familiarity with social media including (such as Facebook, Twitter, Tumbler, etc.).
- Ability to conduct applicable internet research.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with proven interpersonal, customer service and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent leadership skills, a positive attitude, and the ability to work independently and within a team environment.
- Accurate keyboarding skills at 50 wpm.
- Experience with electronic record keeping.
- Ability to prioritize and meet changing priorities and deadlines with a high level of organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to document research findings and write general correspondence.
- Ability to use sound judgment, tact, diplomacy and discretion when working with the public under stressful situations, in-person, and on the phone, including the ability to navigate and de-escalate potential conflicts and aggressive encounters.
- Ability to multi-task and work undistracted in a busy, open, shared work station environment.
- Must be physically able to meet the demands of the position including setting up for special events, moving equipment and furniture, and receiving, storing, and installing a variety of products and materials.
START DATE: July 16, 2018
SALARY RANGE: Pay Grade 6; $45,236 with yearly increments to $48,996 per annum.
COMPETITION NO.: 18B238
OPENING DATE: June 13, 2018
CLOSING DATE: June 24, 2018
BCIT offers a competitive salary, generous benefits package and promotes an inclusive workplace. BCIT is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only successful candidates will be required to have transcripts submitted directly to BCIT’s Human Resources Department directly from granting institution at the time of reference checks. All appointments will be conditional until receipt of verified credentials.
To apply, visit us at careers.bcit.ca
We are only able to accept applications that are submitted on the BCIT Careers website.