Justice Institute of BC
Program AssistantDate: June 6, 2018
APPLICATIONS ARE INVITED FOR THE FOLLOWING FULL TIME TERM POSITION
Position: Program Assistant
Division: Justice & Public Safety Division
Reporting To: Karen Johnson, Manager, Security Training Programs
Justice Institute of British Columbia:
Justice Institute of British Columbia (JIBC) is Canada’s leading public safety educator – a public post-secondary educational institution that has earned a worldwide reputation for excellence and innovation. JIBC educational programs and services are delivered to government agencies, community organizations, private corporations and the general public in communities throughout the province and around the world. Each year, JIBC’s distinctive applied educational learning model attracts an average of 27,000 students, many of whom return as students throughout their careers.
The Security Training Programs Division, JIBC, is mandated under agreement with the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General, Security Programs Division, to administer the Standardized training for Security Professionals. Security Professionals are required to complete standardized training and examinations before becoming a licensed Security Worker in British Columbia.
The Program Assistant provides administrative support to the Security Training Programs area of the Justice & Public Safety Division. This position requires a high level of attention to detail in an extremely fast paced and time sensitive environment.
In addition to exam processing the assistant is required to communicate effectively and professionally with students, Instructors and Training Locations on line by telephone and in person.
- Schedule Basic and Advanced Security Training (BST/AST) exams and invigilators and maintain exam calendar;
- Participate in new process implementation
- Produce and process exams using Questionmark and Blackboard;
- Photocopy and package exams for pick-up or courier to-out-of town locations;
- Create Section Requests and grade students in Colleague;
- Provide administrative support to online students;
- Score BST/AST exams and provide results/information to security training locations in a timely manner;
- Process applications for security instructors, security training schools (new and renewals) and security exemption applicants;
- Follow up with schools on accounts receivable;
- Maintain instructor and Training Location database;
- Handle walk-in, email and phone enquiries from students, training locations and the general public;
- Administer contract training courses on site throughout the Province; room booking, section requests, Instructor liaison.
- Act as back-up for other Program Assistants in the Division, as required;
- Other related duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Requirements:
Secondary school graduation, plus three years office experience; or an acceptable equivalent combination of education, training and experience. Proficiency in the operation of Word, Excel, Outlook and Colleague. Questionmark and Blackboard experience would be an asset.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required. Excellent customer service and organizational skills are required. Be open and adaptable to changing processes with an ability to be proactive and become part of solutions. Ability to establish work priorities, multi-task and meet deadlines while working with frequent interruptions.
Strong spelling, grammar, and proof reading skills. Ability to carry out complex instructions accurately. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts in a team based setting is very important, including staff, students and the public. Proven ability to work independently and meet deadlines. Ability to problem solve. Ability to remain calm under pressure and deal with sensitive issues with discretion and confidentiality. Physical ability to lift boxes (up to 25 lbs.) is required.
Salary Range: $1,555.05 - $1,662.53 bi-weekly (BCGEU Position – Grid 9)
Posting Date: June 6, 2018
Closing Date: June 20, 2018
Start Date: ASAP
End Date: March 29, 2019
Please submit a resume and covering letter
quoting Competition #18-38A to:
For more information about this position,
Manager, Security Training Programs
Justice Institute of British Columbia is an equal opportunity employer and is interested in broadening the diversity of its staff. We encourage applications from visible minorities, Indigenous peoples and persons with disabilities.