Payroll and Benefits Specialist
Payroll and Benefits SpecialistPosition Reports To: Manager, People Services
The Payroll and Benefits Specialist is responsible for payroll and benefits administration to support the organizational-wide human resources function, all on a timely and accurate basis.
- Orient, enroll and dis-enroll employees into the payroll system.
- Maintain / update timesheet software.
- Complete Wheatland County salary and hourly payroll on a bi-weekly basis.
- Complete Wheatland Council, Board Members, and Fire Fighters’ payroll on a monthly basis.
- Ensure payroll remittance vouchers are submitted to Accounts Payable for all remittances to be paid on time; ensure payroll related reports are filed on time.
- Reconcile and balance payroll remittances with related invoices and statements.
- Prepare and forward billings noted in payroll to Accounts Receivable.
- Maintain, correct and balance each payroll sub-ledger to the corresponding general ledger account at each month end.
- Process and distribute T4 and T4A statements in accounting software, on a yearly basis.
- Complete WCB reporting on a yearly basis.
- Maintain the employee computer loan schedule.
- Process Records of Employment (ROE), as required.
- Assist with annual audit with respect to payroll.
- Close off payroll at year end.
- Working with the Manager of People Services, handle benefits and Local Authority Pension Plans (LAPP) administration; reconcile group benefit premiums from payroll to general ledger.
- Balance LAPP reports at year-end and submit within required timelines.
- Orient, enroll and dis-enroll employees into the benefits program.
- Assist employees to obtain information on benefits; work with employees to complete and submit claims and other documents, when requested.
- Calculate and process the annual sick leave benefit payout for salary, hourly, and seasonal employees.
- Maintain vacation, sick leave, and banked overtime accruals; provide reports to the CAO on a bi-weekly basis.
- Respond to employee inquiries regarding group benefits, and in conjunction with the Manager of People Services, conduct periodic information sessions on benefits and payroll matters.
- Provide benefit process improvements / feedback to the Manager of People Services.
- Keep the Manager of People Services informed, in advance, of key employment dates including employment start dates, probationary periods, and other significant and related employee data (e.g., employment related events, activities and acknowledgements).
- Ensure adherence to all applicable Wheatland County policies and bylaws.
- Ensure compliance with OH&S including attendance at safety meetings, being properly trained in OH&S related topics, and ensuring work is completed in a safe manner.
- Appropriately, and in a timely manner complete administrative tasks (e.g., personal timesheets; filing of employee timesheets, reports and data; disposal of records per the approved Records Retention Bylaw and Schedule), when required.
- Relate to and communicate with co-workers, management, customers and vendors sincerely, clearly, tactfully, promptly and courteously; respond to inquiries and complaints promptly and professionally; provide excellent customer service to both internal and external parties; use sound judgement and discretion when responding to inquiries regarding classified, confidential, and employee information.
- Perform tasks, consistent with the position, including special projects / assignments, as may be required on an ad hoc basis.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in full cycle payroll, with technical proficiency in the use and operation of computerized accounting and payroll systems
- Post-secondary training in accounting; accounting diploma from a recognized post-secondary educational institution preferred
- Completion of the Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) certification or taking courses toward the PCP certification through the Canadian Payroll Association
- Certified Employee Benefits Specialist (CEBP) designation would be an asset
- Proficiency in computer programs including MS Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook); experience working with Diamond accounting software would be an asset
- Valid Class 5 Alberta drivers’ licence
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks, produce accurate results and meet deadlines
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy / attention to detail
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively, both independently and cooperatively in a team environment
In order to apply, please send your resume and cover letter via email, to firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our website at www.wheatlandcounty.ca and search for ‘careers.’
The closing date for this position is June 29, 2018 at 4 PM. We thank all applicants; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.